Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Suggestions on bringing home a sick betta.

I tried my first rescue this past weekend and he ended up dying on day 3 of swim bladder and fin rot. I tried my best and cried a lot when he passed away. I was sitting right next to him watching him slowly pass.

I treated him with AQ salt and set up a 1.5 hospital tank for him with 80F. He was doing well until day 2 when i noticed he got all clamped up and his pectoral fins were clamped and looked like little sticks.

I eventually want to rescue another betta but am scared to. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you diagnose and treat? What are some of the specific things you look for/do for a sick betta?

I recently saw an elephant betta who has pop eye and fin rot. i wanted to take him home but I have no clue on how to fix any of that really. I want to go back and get him. But am scared. Another betta had her gill sticking out one side..i'm guessing from ammonia poisoning.

Just venting a little. I get so frustrated and want to bring home all the sick bettas just so they can have warm clean water.

I bought another betta who seemed healthy. I tested his cup water. His ammonia level was over .4!!! Who knows when they were going to change the water.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #2 
Bluebell

omg!! well its worth a shot saving the bettas!! which pet shop is this? :/
i hate seeing the poor bettas in the dirty water... once i went to the shops and theisbetta in one of the tanks was dead and i told the employees there and they just threw it
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Aquarium salt should help with fin rot and clean warm water 84+ should help the betta feel better over all. There are also some meds that can help out as well. I would say get familiar with common betta diseases and how to treat them before rescuing again. I'm starting to rescue as well, even going to run an official betta rescue where I adopt out the fish when they recover. I have tons I just put up today on illness and treatments you can read on my facebook as well. I listed a lot of needed suplies you need when rescuing and I would say stock up on the major medicines.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

betta rescuing really isnt for the emotional.... it can really get you down sometimes when a betta dies.... I'd say gofor the ones thay you know how to treat first.... then slowly work up to the more advanced illnesses.
An anti bacterial such as furan 2 is good to have on hand.
A medicine for velvet and other parasites is recommended as flukes and velvet cannot be cure by heat and salt alone, unlike ich.
And certainly a stash of IAL on hand can probably do a lot more than any medicine....
ofcourse, you should always have aquarium and epsom salt.
a reliable measuring spoon for dosing...
a good sized Qt tank.

Im sorry for your loss.. and good luck.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #5 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
omg!! well its worth a shot saving the bettas!! which pet shop is this? :/
i hate seeing the poor bettas in the dirty water... once i went to the shops and theisbetta in one of the tanks was dead and i told the employees there and they just threw it
It was at petsmart. Petco does the same thing. No water changes or food. Horrible! Some are left dead for days and begin to mold. So sad.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #6 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Aquarium salt should help with fin rot and clean warm water 84+ should help the betta feel better over all. There are also some meds that can help out as well. I would say get familiar with common betta diseases and how to treat them before rescuing again. I'm starting to rescue as well, even going to run an official betta rescue where I adopt out the fish when they recover. I have tons I just put up today on illness and treatments you can read on my facebook as well. I listed a lot of needed suplies you need when rescuing and I would say stock up on the major medicines.
I will read about everything before I head to the store again! I have the basics ready but there are some that require actual medicine that I'm not familiar with.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #7 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
betta rescuing really isnt for the emotional.... it can really get you down sometimes when a betta dies.... I'd say gofor the ones thay you know how to treat first.... then slowly work up to the more advanced illnesses.
An anti bacterial such as furan 2 is good to have on hand.
A medicine for velvet and other parasites is recommended as flukes and velvet cannot be cure by heat and salt alone, unlike ich.
And certainly a stash of IAL on hand can probably do a lot more than any medicine....
ofcourse, you should always have aquarium and epsom salt.
a reliable measuring spoon for dosing...
a good sized Qt tank.

Im sorry for your loss.. and good luck.
I'm way to emotional lol. I didn't name my rescue because i didn't want to get attached but I still did.

Where do you get IAL from? Furan 2 can be found where?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I think petsmart has furan -2. IAL can be ordered from amy lim on eBay for pretty cheap. it takes a few weeks to arrive however, so be patient!
ao is online now   Reply With Quote