Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #11 
Mo

kinda like this?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #12 
Vashnic

It does seem that many plakat bettas have shorter and thicker body shapes than the other types--bulldogs of betta world. XD The topline reminds me a little of sockeye salmon, actually.
Vashnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Mo has shown a fish with an excellent topline... smooth like the top of an airplane wing. It doesn't even rise out-of-curve for the dorsal fin.

Also nice alignment, anal not too long, long first dorsal ray, etc. That is a quality HM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #14 
Mo

Thanks Hallyx.. He DOES have a SEVERE fault.. If you shine a flashlight which is what judges do to find Irredescence he has tons of it..
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You're kidding. Iridescence is the best quality in some of my fish, unless we (the judges and I) mean different things by that term.

When I refer to iridescence I mean that quality of "shimmer" or refraction (as opposed to reflection) or subtle color change depending on the light.

I use it also to describe the color/refraction change caused by the activation of photophors which can transform some fish---like some wilds---from dull brownish fish into a glowing colorful spectacle.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #16 
Mo

I remember Sherolyn Craig saying that you should have 0 irredescence in reds
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #17 
VictorP

+1 Mo
Reds should have 0 irrids in them which is one of the hardest things for a breeder to achieve when breeding reds.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Apparently the word iridescence carries a specific connotation in Betta breeding, a definition that is other than or beyond the common English language meaning.

Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thank you.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #19 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Apparently the word iridescence carries a specific connotation in Betta breeding, a definition that is other than or beyond the common English language meaning.

Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thank you.
it depends on the color. The iridescents are actually a betta color and these colors have a reflective quality.. the blue/green/steels. So they have a bit of shine and that is what you want. To get an all blue/green/steel fish you actually have to have a spread iridescence gene. Otherwise you just get patches of these colors.

Black and red should not be any color but black or red. If you look at a black or red fish and they have specks of steel/green/blue they have iridescence.. not spread iridescence.. but scales that have a bit of another irid color on them. This is a huge fault on those colors as showing red on an iridescent fish is.

Things get complicated when you add a metallic gene.. and you get metallic blues, greens and turqs. You can also get metallic over the red.. though it usually is just hints of steel showing up.

hth
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thanks, BB. That simple explanation opened m eyes to what they're talking about when they say iridescence, and what it means in regards to show Betta.