Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1 
marblebetta90

Need some advice (rant heavy)

I've got an irresponsible, immature little brother. He's 12 y.o. and doesn't take care of his pets. He just expects me to take care of them for him! For instance, we were at PetCo a few days ago. I was looking for a couple new girls for my sorority and he *had* to get whatever I was getting since "it isn't fair". He ended up getting a dragonscale betta. His betta ended up having velvet, which means he has to get off his duff and do 100% water changes daily...He hasn't done ONE water change. I've done all of them. I have also just realized he hasn't been siphoning his other sick betta's uneaten food or poop and now this betta is not doing so well. And he blames me for not changing them! He has 6 bettas now and he hasn't siphoned or changed any of them within the past month or two. I've been doing all of it. I've also just found out he hasn't been doing his one other lousy job...feeding them! And it's not just his fish he doesn't take care of...no...he has a dog and a tarantula he's neglecting. I have now taken over feeding them, changing the tarantula's substrate, walking his dog, taking his dog to go to the bathroom, etc. He is now talking about getting a bird now! Ugh! He can't even take care of the pets he HAS!!! I have pets of my own and college and job apps to finish! How can I get him take responsibility for his pets?! My parents are all soft on him since he's "the baby" and their last child. I really need some advice. I'm so fed up with this crap. Sorry for the rant. I'm just really upset right now.
marblebetta90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #2 
registereduser

Let the dog poop and pee in the house, your parents will finally step up.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know this sounds cruel but he needs to take responsibility for his actions. If his pets die then He's the one responsible. He'll expect people to bail him out his whole life.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 
marblebetta90

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Let the dog poop and pee in the house, your parents will finally step up.
Lol, but them the blame would fall on ME, being the older sibling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I know this sounds cruel but he needs to take responsibility for his actions. If his pets die then He's the one responsible. He'll expect people to bail him out his whole life.
I was thinking of that...but I can't bring myself to see animals suffer due to laziness. Plus, his pets look up to me and see me as their owner. I don't have the heart. lol. And being the older sibling, I'm supposed to be a " good role model".
marblebetta90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblebetta90 View Post
Lol, but them the blame would fall on ME, being the older sibling.
Why? It's his dog.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #6 
Lizzie the Badger

Hold a family meeting asap.

Make it clear to your parents that he's neglecting his pets and you are the one who's having to do all the work he's suppose to be doing. It'll probably difficult with your parents holding sympathy for him because he's younger. But again, get your point across that he's not taking responsibilty for "his" pets, and in return they are suffering.

He does not deserve any pets at all.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #7 
thekinetic

I agree with lizzie. Also stand up to him and tell him to stop being a lazy little **** and do his own stuff.

Also next time you go to get a pet, do it secretly so he can't pull that "it isn't fair" BS. Honostly I know his type, just like one of my nephews a lazy little whiny baby but luckily my brother doesn't stand for it.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #8 
Freyja
Banned

I say hold the family meeting first and if nothing comes of it, stop doing his chores for him. If his pets die, its on him. BTW being a good role model means behaving in a way he will want to emulate, which he clearly doesnt. By taking care of your pets and being responsible for your pets and your college work, you are being a good role model. Doing his chores for him has nothing to do with it and only encourages him to be even lazier. If your parents give you poop about the dog pooping and peeing in the house make it clear its your brother's dog and therefore his responsibility to walk the dog and clean up any messes. Be firm with both him and your parents. You could try rehoming his pets since he cant take care of them and you clearly shouldnt be. This will most likely create conflict, which you can resolve by again making it clear that they are his pets and if you cant take care of them you have found people who will.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #9 
BettaQi

I agree with family meeting and taking steps to rehome the pets.

You are being abused by this spoiled little tyrant.

And so are your parents.

Having the pets rehomed keeps them safe, you sane and gives his entitled little self a consequence.

Your parents are being manipulated and you are the one being hurt the most.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote