Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #11 
ANHEL123

He just did it right? Just watch the fins make sure it don't get worse. One of my male does . Some betta do it on regular basis my bettas does it about every 5 month. It usually grow back slowly. Don't expect to grow back in a few days it can take weeks. But my have clean edges so watch him make sure it not white,cottony patches. He kind of have black edges though , but he just bit them so watch a few days and make sure if it don't get worse so we can decide if he needs medications.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #12 
BlueJWebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
He just did it right? Just watch the fins make sure it don't get worse. One of my male does . Some betta do it on regular basis my bettas does it about every 5 month. It usually grow back slowly. Don't expect to grow back in a few days it can take weeks. But my have clean edges so watch him make sure it not white,cottony patches. He kind of have black edges though , but he just bit them so watch a few days and make sure if it don't get worse so we can decide if he needs medications.
Ok. That's what I was thinking too. The tips of the anal fin closest to his head, that are dark - they have been like that since he jumped out of his tank, probably 3 weeks ago. They were damaged when he was flopping around and when I picked him up. They've never healed, but they never got worse..where you see the "string" hanging from the anal fin is new. And the back of his anal fin, the split looks like it got a little bigger, but that has been their since the jump. I'm actually glad to hear it may just be tail biting. He seemed kind of mopy last night and this morning so maybe he is bored, maybe a little depressed. I fed him some frozen daphnia and he perked right up. Hopefully it wont make him bloated. I am keeping a close eye on it though.
BlueJWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

I actually never like any sudden changes in behaviour. It always means something wrong. So make sure he is not lethargic or refusing food.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #14 
BlueJWebb

Quote:
I actually never like any sudden changes in behaviour. It always means something wrong. So make sure he is not lethargic or refusing food.
Ya it has me a little worried too. I haven't been feeding him much so I am hoping that's why. His appetite is still very good though. He tried to eat my hand yesterday. He is just kind of sulking.

Last edited by BlueJWebb; 10-17-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #15 
ANHEL123

is he lethargic sitting on the bottom of the tank or hanging in one spot, or hiding all the time ?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #16 
BlueJWebb

Quote:
is he lethargic sitting on the bottom of the tank or hanging in one spot, or hiding all the time ?
He has been hiding/sitting on the bottom of the tank when I've been away from him for a while (overnight/at work) but when he sees me he comes out and swims around. But he is resting more than usual. When I did his water change yesterday he was in the way (as usual) checking things out and following the vacuum.

Last edited by BlueJWebb; 10-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #17 
BlueJWebb

Uhg now I am starting to freak out.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

If you do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes for 2.5 gall you don't need to use vacuum . Less water movement is better. And see how he doing behaviour wise

What happened?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #19 
BlueJWebb

Oh I am just worried about him. I fed him before I left for work and I wasn't too worried about his behavior, He looked thinner and I figured it's because I have cut his food way down so he doesn't have as much energy. I haven't been feeding him a lot in the past 3-4 days because he's been floating every time I feed him. But now I am picturing him floating at the top of his tank and that there is something else terribly wrong.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #20 
BlueJWebb

I am pretty sure he hasn't gone poo in a couple of days so I fed him the daphnia. I am at work right now and wont be home to see him for another 5.5 hours :(

Last edited by BlueJWebb; 10-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.