Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #14731 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
People around the pot smokers don't want to have to be smelling it.
I hate public smoking of any type. If you aren't bothering anybody and you are "addicted" than by all means trash your lungs. I get tired of going shopping and walking into a cloud of nasty smelling smoke. It isn't right. I don't care if people smoke but you shouldn't hurt others. And don't get me started on those stupid laws they made. You know most bars still allow smoking and they just pay the fine when the cops catch them?
Anyways, My poor mother is a non smoker but she has a lung condition that means she can't be around smoke. I feel so bad when we take her to shopping centers and she walks into a cloud of cigarette nastyness and starts off on a coughing fit. All she wants is to go shopping and she kills herself coughing. She reacts the same way around pot smoke. It's a nasty habit that doesn't only affect the smoker. I personally don't see how anyone could allow themselves to get addicted to drinking and smoking and be okay with the habit. I used to drink but I couldn't stand being sick and haven't touched it in five years. I have never tryed a cigarette or pot and I don't intend to EVER.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 10-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #14732 
Freyja
Banned

If its a non-smoking building and they are smoking, then yeah ok but if it isnt and people are allowed to smoke inside their apartments, I see no issue. Take steps such as doing it in the bathroom with the extractor on. I totally agree that people shouldnt smoke right by the door. The stipulation at least here is that you cant smoke within 25 feet of the entrance, which of course nobody follows because nobody enforces it. Also why would you put the ashtrays/trashcans next to the door?!? Not everyone gets addicted to drinking and smoking. Theres a difference between drinking to excess -puking and the like- and being an alcoholic and having a glass of wine with dinner. Good on you Shirley on your continued sobriety and on never smoking cigarettes.

Last edited by Freyja; 10-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #14733 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
If its a non-smoking building and they are smoking, then yeah ok but if it isnt and people are allowed to smoke inside their apartments, I see no issue. Take steps such as doing it in the bathroom with the extractor on or sprays or incense.
Yea I don't see smoking an issue as long as it is on private property but the problem is pot is illegal... Also there would be an issue if they have doors or windows open and it leeches outside. I wish people would just smoke in their bathrooms and spray but most people don't care. I am sorry I feel strongly about this. I watched an aunt slowly die of lung cancer and leave two twin 9 year old girls behind without their mother. She never smoked but she was around it. They know it was second hand smoke because no one else in her family had it and her parents were smokers. I'll butt out now :)

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 10-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #14734 
Sena Hansler

Shirley, my boyfriend and I (we were together 2.5 years ago... and back together now) have brought up "adoption or have" once again and we still would like to do both. Perhaps adopt when older or what? We aren't sure, but we know it would literally be a looong process... But well worth it in the end.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #14735 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Shirley, my boyfriend and I (we were together 2.5 years ago... and back together now) have brought up "adoption or have" once again and we still would like to do both. Perhaps adopt when older or what? We aren't sure, but we know it would literally be a looong process... But well worth it in the end.
Even before I knew it would be difficult for me to conceive I have always wanted to adopt but if I can I think I would be thrilled to at least have one of my blood. It just depends on what the future holds for me I guess. I would prefer adoption though.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 10-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #14736 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Here's the thing. Even the court systems in Ohio are starting to realize that not all mom's are aces. Mothers can be just as horrible as Fathers. I had a gay friend at a place I worked at a few years ago that actually bought a house and put together a bedroom just so he could adopt his boyfriends daughter from a previous marriage. It takes dedicated parents, that is it. I do believe it should be two parents but it doesn't have to be mom and dad. I think this way because it's so hard to be a single parent. you do realize where this stupidity comes from right? Most gay-bashing idiots think that gays shouldn't adopt because they are going to create gay children. They apparently forget that gay children are produced in straight homes so with that logic wouldn't gay parents produce straight children . It all stems back to the belief that sexual preference is a choice. You can't help who you are attracted too. You can hide it from yourself but you are likely going to be unhappy. I plan to adopt when I am ready. That's the best thing about adoption. Adoptive parents get to chose when they are ready to be parents. Most people who have them naturaly don't get that choice and thats how some kids end up adopted anyways. Boy that's a vicious cycle. A child brought up with gay parents has a special oportunity to grow up in a loving and tolerant home.
He's not under that mindset, at least I don't think he is, he was saying that when a child doesn't have a mother in their life it's detrimental to their mental health and well being. Which is true to an extent but to want a kid to grow up with no family by blood or nurture if they're not straight is what gets me.
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #14737 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
He's not under that mindset, at least I don't think he is, he was saying that when a child doesn't have a mother in their life it's detrimental to their mental health and well being. Which is true to an extent but to want a kid to grow up with no family by blood or nurture if they're not straight is what gets me.
I dont think its detrimental. Men can be nurturing like a mother. And don't get not wanting a child to grow up with love because the potential parents are gay either. It doesn't make sense. Better off in foster care than with two parents that love them?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #14738 
TheCrabbyTabby

Down the street, there are two loving and caring lesbians who had to go through the trouble of going to New York just to adopt an absolutely adorable baby boy. It was like they had to jump through a ton of hoops just to finalize the adoption. I just don't see why its so hard to give a child a loving and tolerant home with the alternative being life in foster care, shuffling around from home to home and possibly not getting adopted at all? All because the parents aren't both male and female.

Some people are so terribly nearsighted and caught up in their religion to the point of making others suffer.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #14739 
Freyja
Banned

Yep because regardless how much separation of church and state is stressed and should be enforced, religion has always infected government proceedings like adoptions and the people responsible for processing those adoptions. Without religion as a filter there is no objective reason why two men or two women cannot nurture and parent.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #14740 
dramaqueen
Banned

My faith doesn't keep me from believing that a same sex couple can raise a child just as well as anyone else.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou