Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #81 
PitGurl

They have been getting live mosquito larva. In fact I just dumped a bunch in right after I took these photos. I'll try the cooler water. I hope I don't seem impatient it just seems like I always have a hard time with spawning
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #82 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My bettas love their FFF.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #83 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, you can do all the right things and the stars just won't seem to align when it comes to bettas.

Unless he looks as if he is killing her, I would just leave them in together in the spawning tank and see how it goes.

Also do you have the parameters of your water in regards to pH, softness etc.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #84 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah my betta is a killer too.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #85 
babystarz

Gah work has been keeping me super busy, I'm so glad I have my NPT's for a little stress relief. Clipping plants is very relaxing for me :) My second 20 Long is almost ready, it has about 30 pennywort plants, at first I was really worried about them because the leaves were quite yellow and the tank only gets natural light. But this morning I saw a bunch of new stalks with tiny green leaves unfolding at the ends :) At the moment it's housing my HMPK Casper and some snails to provide ammonia, but now that the pennywort is doing well I'm going to start adding mosses and once it's filled out I'll move the smaragdina pair into it.

My versatop covers for the two new tanks just arrived (I got them for half price online) so I'm ready to move ahead with getting the third 20 long set up. I washed my sand today, I just need to get my mud ready to go. I'm worried I won't have anywhere near enough plants for it to look good, I may need to do another bulk plant buy like I did with the pennywort. I was also thinking of getting some cholla wood logs for all of them, to provide hiding spots for fry and anchors for moss.

I took a risk and bought a bulb pack from Petco... so far the only sprout I see for sure is a water lily. I think one of the onions might be starting to sprout too. I really wanted an aponogeton to sprout but no sign of activity is happening with those bulbs. I guess I'll stick with buying already living plants from now on :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #86 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My water onions were starting to sprout in the box when I got them planted a week ago one inch tall now you know water onions are endangered in there natural habitat.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #87 
LittleBettaFish

Took these photos of a couple of some of my wild betta tanks. The bare-bottom one is how I now typically grow my fry out. They start off in a smaller 31x18x24 tank, then move to a 30x30x30 tank, where they generally stay until they get too big and start fighting. Then I move them out into a 45x27x30 tank.

Also made this little header for my Weebly site I am setting up, which will contain lots of information and pictures on my wild bettas and (hopefully forthcoming) killifish.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #88 
babystarz

Nice tanks LBF :) I'm envious of your moss lol, those are some big clumps! I can't wait to see your site.

I splurged on plants and two T5 lights for the newly set up NPTs, I'm going to have to sell some of my pony collection to pay for them :P Worth it though! Now I won't have to worry about natural lighting reaching the bottom tank, and I can have some medium light plants.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #89 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Love your tank.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #90 
LittleBettaFish

Took some photos of my fish rack up in my bedroom. I will try and go around and get decent shots of individual tanks, but this is essentially what the majority of my set-up looks like.

From left to right (top shelf): Betta burdigala, Betta rutilans pair, Betta brownorum, Betta uberis, Betta rutilans F1 juveniles

From left to right (middle shelf): Betta persephone grow-out, Betta tussyae, Liquorice gourami, Betta unimaculata grow-out, New Betta brownorum tank

From left to right: Betta 'Palangkarensis' (ignore goldfish tank it is moving back downstairs)

Fish room shelf. Shallow tank is going to house two pairs of killifish, and tank on the bottom holds my poor lone Betta livida male

Betta unimaculata tank on my chest of drawers

Ignore the pink paint. I hate it but unfortunately it has to stay because I can't be bothered trucking all my fish and tanks in and out of my room.