Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #11 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
You should definately get the plakat out of there. Goldfish are temperate fish, 82 is too hot for them. The plakat is probably loving it though. And are they fancy or common? Either way it's too small.
Common. The plakat is a baby like 1 inch.
Perry the platypus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #12 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Betta and Goldfish CAN'T live together. Both fish require TOTALLY different water temps and quality. Betta's need warmer water and goldfish need cooler water. Plus as your goldfish get larger they WILL eat the betta. They will eat anything that fits in their mouth.
They aren't together. Perry is in her own tank and the goldfish are sharing their tank.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #13 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
You do know that goldfish grow between 8 and 12 inches long, right? A 22 gallon tank is way too small for 5 goldfish (even right now). They produce more ammonia than the average fish and need large quantities of water or at least large frequent water changes until you can find a more permanent solution.

Your goldfish should not be sleeping up side down (I can only assume this is what you mean as you haven't described exactly what "playing possum" is). If you have fancy goldfish this is a sign of a swim bladder or digestive problem. Often times this is caused by poor water quality and poor quality food. In order to improve water quality, you will need a larger tank.

On the subject of the plakat, he should not be in with goldfish. While goldfish can handle temps up to 90F, they shouldn't be in water warmer than 80F long term. Warmer water speeds up their metabolism and causes them to release more ammonia. They also need to be fed more at warmer temps to maintain a good weight; and of course more food in means more waste out. As your goldfish grow, the plakat will become food. Despite their bulbous bodies, even fancy goldfish can move rather quickly when they are hungry. A fully grown goldfish could swallow a plakat whole.
They sleep vertical and sometimes when they want to get back up, they swim upside down and then they get back up.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, that's not normal. What are your readings?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Definitely not normal.

Your common goldfish are going to be majorly stunted in a tank of that size. I have personally first-hand seen the results of stunting caused by a too small tank as my poor goldfish is only half the size it should be.

You have to realise, in ideal conditions, a goldfish can reach its adult size in only 1-2 years.

Keeping five potentially tank-busting fish in a 22 gallon tank is a recipe for disaster. I would suggest maybe rehoming or finding someone with a pond that could take them in.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #16 
MyRainbowBettaFish

common goldfish need 55 gallons bare minimum for gro-out PER FISH. Your tank is WAY overstocked, and your 22 gal. could only fully support ONE fancy goldfish. Also, remove that poor PK!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #17 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
common goldfish need 55 gallons bare minimum for gro-out PER FISH. Your tank is WAY overstocked, and your 22 gal. could only fully support ONE fancy goldfish. Also, remove that poor PK!!!
^
|
+1

A betta is a temperate or tropical water fish, while goldfish are cold water. A common goldfish should ideally be in a nice outdoor pond, if possible.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #18 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
^
|
+1

A betta is a temperate or tropical water fish, while goldfish are cold water. A common goldfish should ideally be in a nice outdoor pond, if possible.
***Goldfish are temperate, Bettas are tropical.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #19 
TheCrabbyTabby

Ooops.

My bad. I should honestly use a dictionary more often. >_<
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #20 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry the platypus View Post
They sleep vertical and sometimes when they want to get back up, they swim upside down and then they get back up.
That is not normal. When goldfish sleep, they often sleep with their nose pointed slightly skyward, but to the degree it sounds like yours are doing it, sounds like swim bladder issues to me.

Also I'd like to clarify what kind of goldfish you have (because that does change things slightly). How many of your goldfish have this general body shape, and how many of your goldfish have this general body shape.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishy, goldfish, i'm not a liar! by perry, liars, perry is not a liar, pictures