Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Hubby said okay to 20 gallon!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDD

So last night while we were laying down about to go to sleep we were watching Ciroc like we always do and were saying how happy he looked with his home back to himself :3

Shawn decides its okay to get another aquarium but it has to fit the top of the dresser! And its pretty decent in size, I'd say and 2o gallon tall would fit perfectly and if not I'll get a 10 gallon

Of course though, there is a catch!
He said Ciroc has to be the ONLY fish -.-

I don't think thats going to happen cause I want to get some Khulies as I have ALWAYS wanted them and possibly some pigmy cories

And I want it to be naturally planted so thankfully I've got the 5 gallon down pat just about [except for the nitrates which means no shrimp -.-]

So tell me fellas,
What type and how many plants should I get?
I'm going to get soil and pebbles like in the 5 gallon[which I'm going to keep set up but moving it into the living room on the bookshelf for cherry shrimp and whatever else I can put in there>:3

Before I even buy anything though I want to know what I want it to look like, what fish, ect.

Any ideas? There is so much to choose from!

P.s I want to do this within the next month or so!
[ Hopefully I get to enjoy it enough before Dec. 21st!!!!!! 0.0
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #2 
Karebear13

I love Kuhli loaches! Can't wait to see pictures of your new tank!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

You should sketch out a drawing of how you would like your tank to look... like rock placement, or where you want tall plants, where you want short plants, and the shape of those plants (like broad leaves or grassy-looking, or stemmy)... That helped in planning my tank. Then If you know you want java moss, for example, Just get a whole bunch and put it in your tank. If you want more you can always go out and buy more. You can also go to the pet stores and local fish stores and look at the types of plants that go along with the type/size/shape you want in your sketch. It's pretty easy to eyeball the amount you want when you see it in person. If you have good lighting and you know the plants will grow pretty well, start off more sparse-looking and let the plants fill themselves in. If you jam everything in super crowded, it's going to look over-crowded after a few weeks when your plants have grown.

Even look at websites about Aquascaping. I saw one once where it showed you an awesome looking tank, and then below it showed an overview sketch of what plants and rocks were placed where. I thought it was http://www.plantedtank.net, but I can't seem to find it there. That's a really great site, though. There is a gallery there to give you ideas, too.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #4 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
You should sketch out a drawing of how you would like your tank to look... like rock placement, or where you want tall plants, where you want short plants, and the shape of those plants (like broad leaves or grassy-looking, or stemmy)... That helped in planning my tank. Then If you know you want java moss, for example, Just get a whole bunch and put it in your tank. If you want more you can always go out and buy more. You can also go to the pet stores and local fish stores and look at the types of plants that go along with the type/size/shape you want in your sketch. It's pretty easy to eyeball the amount you want when you see it in person. If you have good lighting and you know the plants will grow pretty well, start off more sparse-looking and let the plants fill themselves in. If you jam everything in super crowded, it's going to look over-crowded after a few weeks when your plants have grown.

Even look at websites about Aquascaping. I saw one once where it showed you an awesome looking tank, and then below it showed an overview sketch of what plants and rocks were placed where. I thought it was http://www.plantedtank.net, but I can't seem to find it there. That's a really great site, though. There is a gallery there to give you ideas, too.

Thank you! Thats an awesome idea! And I don't mind drawing :3
I've actually been thinking about drawing bettas and giving them away for prizes or something :D
I was looking at a site like that and they did custom aquascaping for only $20! I don't know if that includes the price of plants and whatnot though.
I might just do that after I figure out how i want it.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #5 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
I love Kuhli loaches! Can't wait to see pictures of your new tank!

Me dos!!!
They are so cute!!! <3
i want to get alteast 3 of them :3
Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

dont rush it! LOL. have everything in the 5 gallon grow out first nice and lush, and get your poants from the 5 gallon. then you can spend less on the rest of the plants ;)
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
dont rush it! LOL. have everything in the 5 gallon grow out first nice and lush, and get your poants from the 5 gallon. then you can spend less on the rest of the plants ;)

I'll try not to! lol!

But that does sounds more reasonable..and less expensive...
I know this will cost a lot, depending where I get everything.
I'm definitely going to buy the tank from craigslist. lol
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #8 
BettaQi

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing all about it!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #9 
kfryman

If you get a 20 tall think about more than just a T8 tube. That would have you at lower light so there would be less you can have. I wouldn't do T5s but maybe a Finnex Ray 2 if you go with the 20 tall.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #10 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
If you get a 20 tall think about more than just a T8 tube. That would have you at lower light so there would be less you can have. I wouldn't do T5s but maybe a Finnex Ray 2 if you go with the 20 tall.

Is tthat a light?

Could I get it at petsmart or petco? And do you know the price?