Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #1 
carolineelisabeth

Color changes?

A weird thing happened. I just got this female from a pet store. She was pale in color with a little red on her fins. I got her home, started feeding her bloodworms, color enhancing pellets, and a few brine shrimp, and her color has vastly improved. She is so vibrant now. I'm wondering, is it because of the diet or new environment?

Claudia before:

and Claudia AFTER (sorry, she didnt want to stay still for me, I'll try to get better ones later):

carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

It is likely both. Pet stores often keep betta in filthy dark, ammonia filled bowls and this can make them lose colors. Also you may be feeding better food more often and that can make a difference as well. Your 1st pic she has a stress stripe and in 2nd it looks to be gone. I would say your fish is much happier all around and her natural color has returned.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 
carolineelisabeth

I will try to get a better picture. But I hope I'm doing something right for her!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 
Myates

Most bettas will brighten in color (or deepen) once they start to settle into their new homes. In the cold cups they tend to be stressed and they don't always feel like "looking pretty". So yes, a clean, warm home with good food will bring out the best in your betta :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

She's pretty!
I had a female who was very pale in the store, but I could tell she would be very pretty when she colored up. Her tail was purple and her ventrals were red. I saw a purple hue in her body, but it wasn't until I got her home that she colored up. Actually, she was very nervous for a while. She pretty much always had stress stripes for the first few weeks, but it was so funny- when I fed her the night that I brought her home, she turned bright purple! Then I carried her tank into my bedroom and she was totally pale again. She would fade out and get dark stripes over the smallest things- like me moving too fast or turning on the light.
But she got used to me after a few weeks. Then I swapped her tank with Fishie's tank because he started biting his tail and I wanted to move him into her 1 gallon to treat his tail. When I put her into the 5 gallon, she really loved it! Then she really colored up and her stress stripes were gone! Her body color was a little lighter than this, her iridescence was like this, her fins and tail were a little more purple than this, and her ventrals, gills, and rays on her tail were pinkish red. There are pics of her in her album in my profile, but there are only a few from the day I brought her home. I should post a few more from later on. I don't think I got any of her when she fully colored up.
Post more pics of your girl!

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-18-2012 at 11:12 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 
lelei

Omg, Yes, our fishy's color up so beautiful, It is truly amazing what colors show up, after just a few days or so in warm clean water..my fishy's have all gotten so vibrant in color!! and new colors start to show as well..lil chameleons:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
She's pretty!
I had a female who was very pale in the store, but I could tell she would be very pretty when she colored up. Her tail was purple and her ventrals were red. I saw a purple hue in her body, but it wasn't until I got her home that she colored up. Actually, she was very nervous for a while. She pretty much always had stress stripes for the first few weeks, but it was so funny- when I fed her the night that I brought her home, she turned bright purple! Then I carried her tank into my bedroom and she was totally pale again. She would fade out and get dark stripes over the smallest things- like me moving too fast or turning on the light.
But she got used to me after a few weeks. Then I swapped her tank with Fishie's tank because he started biting his tail and I wanted to move him into her 1 gallon to treat his tail. When I put her into the 5 gallon, she really loved it! Then she really colored up and her stress stripes were gone! Her body color was a little lighter than this, her iridescence was like this, her fins and tail were a little more purple than this, and her ventrals, gills, and rays on her tail were pinkish red. There are pics of her in her album in my profile, but there are only a few from the day I brought her home. I should post a few more from later on. I don't think I got any of her when she fully colored up.
Post more pics of your girl!
Yes Orange, I know exactly what you mean, my Pompom, did all that too, then I was seeing a lot of females, younger ones who do that a lot, change thier colors, show stripes, and I thought they were stress stripes, but it is a trait of the younger females that have yet to fully blossom with color, and I got nervous fairly recently,

I saw some stripes as I did when I first brought her home, and she has been doing fine right along, however I see still see stripes, just not as dark, her plum, and red is coloring up, so the stripes are blending, I also see the (black line in her eyes) if you see that too, is getting darker, and she is getting longer, so I know she is getting a lil bigger, and those colors will tend to darken up and the stripes won't show anymore..
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 
carolineelisabeth

She is so cool. If I move her tank, or change her water (she is in a bowl during water changes) she will show me stripes. But as soon as shes in her home she is so happy!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #9 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineelisabeth View Post
She is so cool. If I move her tank, or change her water (she is in a bowl during water changes) she will show me stripes. But as soon as shes in her home she is so happy!
Yes, water changes are difficult, and they can cause a lil stress, but as soon as they are home, they are soo happy, my other girl, all blue, never showed stripes, and she is blossoming with full color and fins..she is a riot too..all my fishys, all 6 are soo different and cool in their own way..they all bring something special to my life, and I love each and every one
Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #10 
carolineelisabeth

A few better pictures of her color change.

Tags
color, female, food, veiltail