Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #1 
TessaBear

Question Compattable fishys?

Hi guys, I am gonna be getting a 10 gal tank for my betta baby blue~

Hes never been in with other fishies, and was wondering what would be good to put in the tank with him. i was thinking of mabie a ghost shrimp since i have had one in with another betta before and did fine,

how do you go about getting them to not attack,and what fish would be a possible tank mate?

sorry if theres another post like this!!
TessaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #2 
Hershey

Some snails would be nice, but, make sure they're bigger tthan the betta's head or he might eat them. I think floating the shrimp and seeing how he reacts is another option.

Adf's are good too, but you'd need to qt them for 3 months to make sure they aren't ill.

A lot of people go for tetras, but they need to be in a group. No less than 5.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #3 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
A clown pleco does well (they're one of the dwarf versions so they don't get HUGE ). My current guy has survived almost 8 years of bettas now and has never had a problem with them, so long as you have a cave of some type they're good. I have also heard good things about corrie cats ( though you'll want a pygmie variety for a 10 gallon )

I'm trying a form of minnow, for I have heard some people have had good results when housing them with a betta. It really is going to depend a lot on your betta's personality. Have a back up tank in case your betta takes a severe disliking to the new tank mate, or the if the tank mate turns into a fin nipper ( some tetras are notorious for this ).

I've never tried shrimp, but if its worked for you before, wouldn't hurt to try it again with your current betta.

As a general rule when trying to add a tank mate to a betta tank, research and take precaution when you add. =]
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #4 
JerryBerrie

With my betta, he's in a 30g right now, and he's with 2 Julii cory catfish. They are so adorable an fun to watch, and all my betta does to them is sometimes follow them around, its so cute. My fish isnt much aggressive, so i'm not sure how your fish would acts towards catfish. But you should consider it, especially cus the catfish stay mostly on the bottom and can eat leftovers.
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 
TessaBear

I would love to get some small catfish to go in with him, deff would get hiding spots though lol. im just nervous if he wont do good with the, and since i dont hav money to get another tank the size they would need, i may just have him in it alone, but i may do a shrimp since my other seemed to do ok with one.
TessaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #6 
JerryBerrie

The shrimp would be nice, i almost always have ghost shrimp in my other AQ, but i can never find cherry shrimp! :/ But if you do get catfish, they like groups of 4 or more, but i only have 2. Also, the cory cats are great in any water quality, and they live a long time!
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote