Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 
JAZZano

Question Caudal fin shorter than dorsal and anal

Hi everyone!

I have a beautiful blue crown tail who I've ha for about 5 months now. He was living in a 2.5 gallon unfiltered unheated tank for the first month, now he lives in a 6.6g fluval chi, filtered and heated. I also have 5 small tank mates with him and 3 ghost shrimp.
For about two months now (this started before I added the other fish, but the shrimp were there) I have been worried about his caudal fin. I noticed that it was visibly shorter than his anal and dorsal fins, but there does not appear to w any signs of fin rot. To be safe I dosed with Betta Fix for a week and saw no change.
He is very happy and always builds me beautiful bubble nests, so it's really only a cosmetic concern right now. Could his anal and dorsal fins just be growing faster than his caudal and that's why the difference?

I couldn't get a good pic of him, but imagine on this picture the caudal fin stops shortly after the dark blue ends
JAZZano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #2 
lelei

What other fishy's do you have in the tank?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Is is possible that your fish is tail biting? I only ask that because many bettas do that. I'm ruling out the other tank mates because you said you only recently moved them in and this has been going on a while.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #4 
JAZZano

Thank you for your quick replies!

I have also ruled out the other tank mates since it happened before, but I have a black neon terra, a cardinal tetra, a glowlight tetra, a cherry barb, and a zebra danio (yes I know this combo seems odd and breaks a lot of basic fish rules but I added them slowly and made sure to observe how they all get along).

I have considered tail biting too, but I find tail biting is usually more localized to one part of the fin, whereas my boy's entire fin is short. Also, I watch him on a regular basis and have never seen him biting.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

I'd never seen Fishie biting his tail, but I know he was doing it.
But you're right- with him it wasn't his whole tail; the very bottom of his tail wasn't bitten at all.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 
JAZZano

Yes, bettas frequently bite their tails in transport between the wholesaler and fish store. It's so sad to see them when they arrive (I work at a PetSmart), I always give them a couple days of dilute melafix and then lots of exercise in a tank which usually cheers them up and helps with the damage.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

it should be mentioned that neither bettafix or melafix is something you should be giving to bettas...it can cause damage to their labyrinth organs (basically imagine making your betta smoke a carton of cigarettes) to treat fin fin damage you should give them a ten-day maximum cycle of aquarium salt, clean warm water, and an environment free of stress (if you're in a pet store environment, remove them from the shelf and keep them someplace far away from other bettas who might cause them to constantly be "on guard")
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #8 
JAZZano

Yes we definitely isolate the bettas at work and keep them a bit warmer than usual. What in bettafix damages their labyrinth? Also why is the AQ salt only recommended to go in for 10 days? I read that somewhere else recently and ie never heard it before.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 
JAZZano

Yes we definitely isolate the bettas at work and keep them a bit warmer than usual. What in bettafix damages their labyrinth? Also why is the AQ salt only recommended to go in for 10 days? I read that somewhere else recently and ie never heard it before.

PS- I love your bettas names! Tardis has got to be my fave, fellow whovian here.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZZano View Post
any longer with AQ salt can burn their gills and other mucous membranes. i think it's the tea tree extract in the products ending in -fix that damages their labbies.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote