Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 
tisburylane

Question Clear fin edges gone?

I seriously hate that I only come to this website for help, and it always seems like the same stuff...

For the past few days the ends of Finnick's caudal fin have been clear. I assumed this was growth; he had gone through what I assume was a tail nipping episode, and it was just the fin growing back between the frays. I come back only a few hours later from last seeing him and now all that transparent fin is gone and maybe even a little of his "healthy" fin.

I don't get it. I thought the clear part growing between the frays from his last episode was supposed to be regrowth, but now it's gone. It happens when I'm not around. Is it nipping? Or is the transparency actually a sign of fin rot?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2-2.5 gal. I just put him in it Sunday.
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I will probably do one once or twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I'll probably do 25-50%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? StressCoat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Well, there was a transparent fin ends and now there isn't.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change. Seems happier with more space if anything.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The transparency has been there for maybe a week, the disappearance was in the last 7 hours.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just put a little TC Tetracycline.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? There have been quite a few times where I couldn't tell if it was fin rot or tail biting...
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him around June.
tisburylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

he probably just needs clean water. change out all your water atleast once a week...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 
tisburylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
he probably just needs clean water. change out all your water atleast once a week...
It still doesn't explain what it is or where the fin has gone.
tisburylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

well... healing fins are fragile. if the water parameters are not optimum, it isn't strange that his tail couldnt heal. it's like having a scrape... and after it scabs over and tried you heal.. you always pick at it or keep it wet or something, rather than keeping it clean under a bandaid or something...

Nothing strange about it really...

make sure you keep his water pristine and if anything else goes wrong, we can tackle it from there...

you really shouldnt medicate him unless he is really sick...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, tail biting