Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #1 
Connierodz

Clamped fins!!

Hi everyone!! Does anyone have tips on how to cure clamped fins..my betta is in a 5 gallon filtered Tank..honestly i change his water every week 100% not because i want to but i tend to do something wrong and end up throwing out all the water..I dont have a heater..but the temperature is always 75/80. I feed him bio.gold from hikari..when i first got him he had fin rot..i used bettafix for seven days and it cleared up..at the time he was in a .5 gallon bowl..then i upgraded to ten gallon..and he started tailbitting..then i changed him to 5 g tank..and he looks really happy bu still tailbites..im not sure s he has clamped fins but it looks like it. Any help tips would be appreciated..
Attached Images

Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #2 
Connierodz

He wont stay still..lol
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #3 
Connierodz

Another one!
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Hey there Connierodz, lovely little guy you have there. :)

Thankfully, he doesn't appear to be clamped. Generally with clamping your fish will hold their fins much much tighter together and close to their body. ;) I just appears that his fins are at rest, which is very very normal.

However, you may have a couple other little problems I noticed....

75-80 is a pretty big temp range that I assume its fluctuating between. See, a heater isn't just important for keeping the water in the proper range(though that is a big thing of course)but it keeps the temp stable and steady, which is just as important. Temp fluctuations are very stressful on your fish and can open them up to all kinds of problems.
I highly suggest picking up a heater so you can get a stable temp of about 79-80(I find this to be a pretty good more exact temp to shoot for). You'll want to get something fully submersible and adjustable with a thermostat, stay clear of the pad-like and present heaters. 25-50 watts is a good size to shoot for with a 5 gallon.

Also when you preform a 100% water change, you're killing off any beneficial bacteria that are colonizing in your tank. Are you not at all interested in trying to cycle? If not, you may want to just remove the filter all together.....its a little pointless if you're not cycling, and it will prevent you from possibly starting up a cycle and ending up with an ammonia spike in between water changes.

Tailbiting(among other things sometimes)is a common problem I hear about with people upgrading from small bowls and containers to something like a 5-10 gallon. Because of this, people often assume that the fish prefers smaller tanks/containers(which sort of reenforces the myth that bettas like tiny bowls), but I find a good chunk of the time that it is just because when people upgrade, they don't properly decorate their tanks. Bettas like a lot of cover, and when they are not provided with enough plants(life or silk)and caves to make them feel secure, they often become stressed, lethargic, pale, and sometimes start to tail-bite like you're guy.
Your tank appears to be a little sparse, so it may help with the tail-biting issue I would suggest picking up some silk or hardly live plants(making sure one or two are tall enough to reach the top of the tank)and a cave or two to help your guy feel a little more secure. If this seems to improve the tail biting, if you decorate properly you could probably move him back into the 10 gallon if you wanted. ;)

Best of luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 
Connierodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hey there Connierodz, lovely little guy you have there. :)

Thankfully, he doesn't appear to be clamped. Generally with clamping your fish will hold their fins much much tighter together and close to their body. ;) I just appears that his fins are at rest, which is very very normal.

However, you may have a couple other little problems I noticed....

75-80 is a pretty big temp range that I assume its fluctuating between. See, a heater isn't just important for keeping the water in the proper range(though that is a big thing of course)but it keeps the temp stable and steady, which is just as important. Temp fluctuations are very stressful on your fish and can open them up to all kinds of problems.
I highly suggest picking up a heater so you can get a stable temp of about 79-80(I find this to be a pretty good more exact temp to shoot for). You'll want to get something fully submersible and adjustable with a thermostat, stay clear of the pad-like and present heaters. 25-50 watts is a good size to shoot for with a 5 gallon.

Also when you preform a 100% water change, you're killing off any beneficial bacteria that are colonizing in your tank. Are you not at all interested in trying to cycle? If not, you may want to just remove the filter all together.....its a little pointless if you're not cycling, and it will prevent you from possibly starting up a cycle and ending up with an ammonia spike in between water changes.

Tailbiting(among other things sometimes)is a common problem I hear about with people upgrading from small bowls and containers to something like a 5-10 gallon. Because of this, people often assume that the fish prefers smaller tanks/containers(which sort of reenforces the myth that bettas like tiny bowls), but I find a good chunk of the time that it is just because when people upgrade, they don't properly decorate their tanks. Bettas like a lot of cover, and when they are not provided with enough plants(life or silk)and caves to make them feel secure, they often become stressed, lethargic, pale, and sometimes start to tail-bite like you're guy.
Your tank appears to be a little sparse, so it may help with the tail-biting issue I would suggest picking up some silk or hardly live plants(making sure one or two are tall enough to reach the top of the tank)and a cave or two to help your guy feel a little more secure. If this seems to improve the tail biting, if you decorate properly you could probably move him back into the 10 gallon if you wanted. ;)

Best of luck!
Thank you very much..i am getting a heater today..and live plans are not available in our petstore..( petco,petsmart) they do have them but are in really bad shape..that is why i havent gotten any..thanks alot for your reply...it helped out alot..
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Sure thing, glad to be of some help. :)

It doesn't have to be live plants, silk ones will do(best to avoid plastic, those shred fins). I'm personally a fan of the Petco silk plants as opposed to the ones Petsmart sells. I find them to be a little fuller and taller, and therefore provide more cover, for the price. ;)

Oh! One more thing....Hydor, Elite, Aqueon(the adjustable ones), and the Petco brand are all great heater brands. Just as a helpful recommendation. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #7 
Connierodz

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Sure thing, glad to be of some help. :)

It doesn't have to be live plants, silk ones will do(best to avoid plastic, those shred fins). I'm personally a fan of the Petco silk plants as opposed to the ones Petsmart sells. I find them to be a little fuller and taller, and therefore provide more cover, for the price. ;)

Oh! One more thing....Hydor, Elite, Aqueon(the adjustable ones), and the Petco brand are all great heater brands. Just as a helpful recommendation. :)
:( i could swear i saw marina in your recommendation..lol..i need to return it..it didnt work (heater)