Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 
tisburylane

Question Strange clear "flakes" in water?

I really don't know how else to describe it. I've noticed it before, but today as I was looking at Finnick's water I noticed a good bit of it. It's these almost transparent flakes of various sizes. They remind me of flakes if you were to pick skin off of your lips or cut off the flap of a cut.

Now, I recently had an issue yesterday where I thought where there was clear growth on the end of Finnick's caudal fin for about a week, but last night it was gone. I've been wondering if it fell off or was bit off.

Is this those parts of that fin? Or is something else entirely? Does this tell me if the missing fin growth is from fin rot or tail biting?
tisburylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I often see the clear flake-y stuff in my unfiltered tanks. I'm not entirely positive exactly what it is, but I'm pretty sure its just some protein-y stuff, much like oily the 'film' you might find on the surface of the water. It appears totally harmless, at least in my experience.

Has Finnick had trouble with biting in the past? Does it look as if the regrowth has actually been removed? Its possible he may have bit it off......but clear regrowth does also take on color eventually. If i doesn't look as if the area got shorter, it may have just stated to color up.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #3 
tisburylane

Quote:
Has Finnick had trouble with biting in the past? Does it look as if the regrowth has actually been removed? Its possible he may have bit it off......but clear regrowth does also take on color eventually. If i doesn't look as if the area got shorter, it may have just stated to color up.
You see, that's the thing. I'm never entirely sure if it's biting or fin rot, I've heard such conflicting stuff. Fin is black- fin rot. Fin is clear- fin rot. Or healing. Or fin rot. Fin is white- fin rot. Maybe healing.

The area has definitely gotten shorter; the clear part is gone and I'm pretty sure some of the actual tail, too. It happened over a span of a few hours while I was out though.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Hmm....could you perhaps post a picture? I could probably tell you if hes biting or not.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 
tisburylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hmm....could you perhaps post a picture? I could probably tell you if hes biting or not.
I'll try so that I don't have to post the blurry pic I got last night. He's terribly camera shy. >.< The tank is filtered, by the way.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #6 
tisburylane

Sorry if they are huge. My poor baby boy. I'm gonna have to stop calling him a VT and call him a RT... "rectangle tail."
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Hmm.....that is a hard call....but I'm not seeing any rot-like edges to the damaged area myself. His fins look quite long and flowy, its possible he may just catch site of it every once in a while and take a little nip or two. one of my DTs does that.
Clear is, from what I understand, generally always regrowth. With most fin rot, you will be able to see slightly blackened/rotting/melting edges to the damaged area if you look close enough. Keep a close eye on him and look for clear regrowth. If it looks more like the tail is gradually receding or 'melting' slowly then you'll want to start treating for finrot.

Hmm....it still sounds like the same flaky stuff that I find in my smaller unfiltered tanks. I generally don't see it in my filtered tanks though.....
Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #8 
tisburylane

Quote:
With most fin rot, you will be able to see slightly blackened/rotting/melting edges to the damaged area if you look close enough. Keep a close eye on him and look for clear regrowth.
This only "miscoloring" that is right now is on top of his caudal fin. It's a touch of black, but it's been there long enough I'm more apt to think that it's coloring that a disease. The long part at the bottom, I just noticed, either wasn't touched or is already healing; it's kinda clear.