Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #11 
Blacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
It's funny. Back when I had my old aquariums years ago, I never had this in any of my tanks. Both of these tanks had those filters that were like a box with charcoal, filter fluff, and an airstone in it that sat at the bottom of the tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish
Fish keeping and produces have certainly changes over the years, thats for sure. xD I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that....
Apparently they still make them although I havn't seen them in stores.
http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Triple-Fl...4502058&sr=8-7

You stuff filter fluff into the bottom (it looks like pillow stuffing) till it fills about three quarters of the way up. Then you pour charcoal on top of it. Close the box. The middle has a tube with an air stone in the middle that you plug a pump into. It makes lots of bubbles and it does a relatively good job with the water.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

a pond snail in each tank will eat it up.
otherwise good old plain paper towel (unscented and non fancy) laid ove the surface and quickly peeled off will do the trick.
paper towel is pretty safe. I use it all the time. if ur afraid that household spray or detergents got in the ones you have, just get a new pack :)

@ above post.. ahh the good old air driven corner filter :D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #13 
Blacklight

You would think that they would make "skimmer" type things for a freshwater tank for helping to get rid of this. I imagine something like a flat absorbing sponge at the end of a little arm or something. This is an untapped potential thing to sell to PetCo or PetSmart!
I'm a little scared about the paper towels. For all we know, they could have bleach or any other kind of chemical from their manufacture in them. You never know what's in them.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #14 
deso

They do indeed have protein skimmers, but they're made exclusively for saltwater tanks, and pretty expensive at 150$ a pop for the nano version. Someone tried using one on his freshwater tank and it simply doesn't work because the machine relies on saltwater to create the many long-lasting bubbles needed for it to function. Basically, the bubbles help to attract the protein film into a "collection cup".

If you have a filter that provides at least some gentle surface agitation, you shouldn't be bothered by the film. As said before, I don't think it's a question of oxygenating the water, either. I have a lily pipe filter output on my current 3.5 gallon and I never see the stuff, but in the unfiltered 1 gallon that was my betta's temp home when I first got him, it was all over the place.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

i often use a paper towel... no dangers.

i just got an idea.. get the fish net... line it with something.... and scoop...?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote