Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #1 
ojmccaf1963

**Puffy Gills*** nothing to worry about it? What does it mean?

Okay, it's been awhile since I posted and I'm a novice when it comes to my betta, I've had him 6 mths now, I think I'm taking pretty good care of him from what I've learned, and the type of tank I have is a tall glass vase but eventually I do plan on getting him a filtered tank. But, my question is what does it mean when your betta start showing **puffy** gills?? Maybe breathing heavily or just getting old?? I know sometimes my betta is known to *sleep* I mean, it'll almost freak me out cus he died, but when I tap the glass he just wakes up start flipping his fins or he'll show his gills puffing out! is this a sign of "growing old" in fish life?? I'd like some input on this. Thanks.
ojmccaf1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 
sainthogan

All Betta's puff out or flare their gills. They do this for many reasons. They are highly territorial and will do it to show you that this is their space. They will do it when fighting with a male, they will do it when breeding with a female. They will do it when you show them their reflection. It's perfectly normal for any betta fish do it at any age. My guess is that when he's "sleeping" and you startle him awake, he does it to show you who's boss.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #3 
ojmccaf1963

"To show whose boss!" Yeaah you're probably right lol :D Woke JAWS up!!! lolol Thanks for the reply to my post!! lolol
ojmccaf1963 is offline   Reply With Quote