So, it seems that I will be moving in a few weeks to a rather remote area. I am now facing the question of whether to aquire the betta I have been preparing for in advance or after the move. I doubt there will be good places to get bettas anywhere near me (Wal-Mart is the most likely candidate, not exactly noted for treating their bettas well, and they will be over an hour away).
If I got the betta here (from an LFS I am quite fond of), I would have to transport the fish in my car over a number of days of travel (probably 3-5 days). Mailing a fish seems to me like a bad idea since I will be driving to the town and there is nobody here who I think would be able to package the fish up safely. At any rate, it will be cold (possibly snowy) and even with heat packs I am unsure that the fish will survive the trip by mail.
So the question is, should get my fish here, from a place that has lovely, active bettas that seems to treat them reasonably well, and put it in my car for a long trip, or wait until I get to the new town (in the middle of nowhere) and try my luck with stores that may or may not treat bettas decently.
What do you all think?
(BTW, kudos to anyone who gets the thread title reference)