Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
LizzyP

So...I bought a snail

What in the world was I thinking?

Well, I know exactly what I was thinking. All the snails at my local Petsmarts are dying very quickly because they don't keep the plant tank anymore and the big tank water is too cold for them. So I felt bad. I pity purchased a yellow Mystery Snail. His name is Harry. Harry will be put in Dumbledore's 5.5 gallon planted tank. I bought some sinking algae wafers by Hikari to at least hold him over until I can blanch some cucumber. Will that be okay to put in my betta tank?

I have a 1 gallon and an old preset heater that I'll set up for Harry for his QT. How long should I keep him in a QT for? I was gonna say 2 weeks, unless I see something obviously wrong with him.

This will be interesting.
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 
sainthogan

At least you didn't cave in and get pond snails. I almost did that the other day, they were so pretty sitting there in the pond, that I had to stop myself from taking some. I thought I learned my lesson the last time I had pond snails, but I guess not. Fortunately, my dad was there with me (we were taking my son fishing) and reminded me of the pond snail disaster I went through as a teenager. Fortunately my fish ate the littlest ones, but man, they can reproduce faster than you can blink.

Sorry, that's not very helpful I know. I don't know if you need to quarantine snails, I didn't when I had my pond snails. I guess if the tank he was in had sick fish, then I would quarantine him. I just assumed that snails ate algae, but I don't see a problem with putting blanched cucumber in with the betta as long as you replace it out when it get's moldy and such. Your betta's not going to eat it, he will probably investigate it though to make sure it isn't something he can eat.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Sounds good!
2 weeks sounds like a good amount of time to me.
Make sure you clean that 1 gallon tank daily, because snails are very excellent poopers. lol

Oh, keep in mind, to never have the snail in the tank while treating a fish using salt. It sounds like it'd be obvious but it is something that most people dont really think about.

Good luck!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Dying from cold water? I doubt it, these snails will do way better in a cold tank than a tropical tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 
LizzyP

Quote:
Dying from cold water? I doubt it, these snails will do way better in a cold tank than a tropical tank.
That's just what the girl told me at the store. She could've told me snails also have wings and fly.

He's in his 1 gallon now, happily sucking over everything. Has somewhat investigated the feeder thing I dropped in, but hasn't eaten (I don't think...>.>). He's rather interesting, that's for sure.

Only reason I asked about QT is because they had a cichlid in there with the snails because she had eggs in her mouth and they wanted to see if she spit them out. Which she did while I was there, lol. I don't want to bring home any cichlid diseases to Dumbledore.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
^+1

usually mystery snails die due to being in tanks that are too warm...

Snails in LFS usually die due to the water parameters over temperature...
And also due to the Low KH GH in the LFS >>

The reason the cichlid had the eggs in her mouth is because some are mouth brooders...

Last edited by ao; 10-20-2012 at 07:37 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #7 
LizzyP

Oh, I know why she had them in her mouth, lol. I just didn't want her to be carrying something, pass it onto the snail, and then the snail pass it on to my fish. So he's in a cozy heated 1 gallon munching on an algae wafer :)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #8 
Sivan

Mystery snails are actually apple snails. You can find out all about them here and if you have questions they have a forum filled with very useful people. http://www.applesnail.net/
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #9 
sainthogan

so if mystery/apple snails don't prefer algae, what kind of snail does? I'm looking for something to eat the algae on the bottom of my tank. I don't think my girl would tolerate an algae eating fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #10 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
so if mystery/apple snails don't prefer algae, what kind of snail does? I'm looking for something to eat the algae on the bottom of my tank. I don't think my girl would tolerate an algae eating fish.
Nerite snails I believe eat algae. But you would have to double check me just to make sure. :)