Originally Posted by Kenny G
Congrats on your new buddy and welcome to the forum.
1. I would get a thermometer you want to keep his water temperature between 74 - 80 degrees.
2. Until the plants grow you can always but some silk plants to add to his tank so he has something to hide behind for privacy and help him adapt to his new surroundings. ALWAYS do the silk test and check all decorations for sharp edges. Rub any tank objects up against a piece of silk or nylon if it pulls or tears do not add it into your tank. If it pulls it could damage Henry's fins. I had the hammock its ok some use it some don't. If you get one make sure its all plastic with no metal parts that will rust.
3. The betta tablets and betta water are ok but will get very costly. I recommend getting Prime. You will only need to add 2 drops per gallon so it will last forever. Plus it breaks down ammonia and helps keep your ph levels under control quickly. I also recommend keeping an empty 1 gallon water container and premix it 24 hours before you do your water changes so the water is room temperature.
4. Always acclimate your fish after doing water changes. Let Henry float in his cup in the new tank water for about 45 minutes. This will help him adapt to the new water temperature without going into shock.
5. If you don't have a filter you should be prepared to do water changes at 100% at least 3 times a week. This will help prevent Henry from getting ammonia poisoning.
If you have further questions just ask. The people on this site are always ready to offer advice.
hello i'm new to this also i was wanting to no how many days out of the week and how many times should i feed my betta and i also have a 1 g tank working on getting him a 5 g tank but will the 1 g tank be fine for now and do u think a 5 g tank would be better for him thank you