Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #61 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could mass produce them easily and feed starving people and they make great pets they are originialy descended from food stock.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #62 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

See you have a new avatar.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #63 
LittleBettaFish

I agree neither goldfish nor carp are going to solve world hunger. There are a lot more elements at play to that problem than simply an insufficient amount of food.

I believe goldfish are used in aquaculture style set-ups to grow vegetables and other edible plants because of their high waste output. I think it would be neat to have one of those going out in the backyard. I am fascinated by people who manage to be essentially self-sufficient.

However, as Olympia said this thread is for people interested in keeping goldfish are pets. If you want to discuss the merits of goldfish as food perhaps start your own thread in this forum.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #64 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep. I know mass aquaculture causes horrible pollution. Farmed fish are fed drugs and hormones that later leech back into local water ways. Aquaculture has also introduced non native species and can spread diseases to wild fish.

Thekoimaiden is gone goldfish shopping today and I'm just dying to see if she comes back with anything.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #65 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

People starve they can help hydroponics and food but I so want to have a hydroponic system for goldfish.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #66 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I was getting some fishies for my friend today at petsmart and the goldies! I WANT MOAR FISH! The little faces on the ornadas!

I did get my friend some hornwort, water wisteria, 4 zebra danios, 4 red eye tetras, and 6 harlequin rasboras. The red eyes are amazing! I want some!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #67 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I so wish I had more fish room.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #68 
LittleBettaFish

Well it has been a long battle, but my goldfish are finally accepting their greens!

I had some hydrilla and hornwort in there to encourage them to eat something that wasn't pellets or frozen foods. Well they literally demolished those plants and then went one better and got into the breeders' box and ate the plants I was rehabilitating in there.

So today I blanched up some butter lettuce and clipped it onto the side of the tank. It took a minute or so before they were taking big chunks out of it.

Mission completed.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #69 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Lol, Maisy. The goldfish are really easy to get attached to. I'm really glad I "wasted" (as everyone in my family has told me) my 90 gallon on them.

Good to hear LBF! My guys get squash and peas in their food. And they graze the planted tank all day, but the plants are keeping up.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #70 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I so wish I had more fish room.
STORY OF MY LIFE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Well it has been a long battle, but my goldfish are finally accepting their greens!

I had some hydrilla and hornwort in there to encourage them to eat something that wasn't pellets or frozen foods. Well they literally demolished those plants and then went one better and got into the breeders' box and ate the plants I was rehabilitating in there.

So today I blanched up some butter lettuce and clipped it onto the side of the tank. It took a minute or so before they were taking big chunks out of it.

Mission completed.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Lol, Maisy. The goldfish are really easy to get attached to. I'm really glad I "wasted" (as everyone in my family has told me) my 90 gallon on them.

Good to hear LBF! My guys get squash and peas in their food. And they graze the planted tank all day, but the plants are keeping up.
I could waste a 200 gallon on them. lol I am now known as the "fish nazi" by my friends, because I harass them about how they should be doing more water changes.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote