Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #91 
Sakura8

I always get those greasy films. Food residue, possible residue from the air. I also sometimes think the more a fish bubblenests, the more protein there is to create films.

When you rinse a filter, always be sure to rinse it in tank water. :) If you rinse it in regular tap water, the chlorine kills off your good bacteria.

If you use a gravel vacuum, you'll either need to carry the tank to a sink, a window, or have a bucket. The water has to drain into something.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #92 
Aqua Betta

Sakura8,

Thanks for letting me know about the greasy film. So, do I rinse it in the tank or just the tank water? Also, how long does a filter usually last?

Good to know about the vacuum - I think I'll try the turkey baster first because a sink is quite a distance away from his tank (or I could try the bucket). How often do you vacuum?

Thanks so much for your help. Have a great weekend!
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #93 
Sakura8

Tank water. It's best to rinse the filter when you do a water change. Save some tank water that you've taken out and just swish the filter media around.

The mechanical filtration part of a filter (the sponge/foam part) will last forever unless it falls apart. The carbon inside, though, has to be replaced every month. But you don't actually NEED carbon in your filter so if you don't want to replace it, that's fine.

I vacuum every time I do a water change. It basically works that while the water is draining, you can just run the vac part through the gravel.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #94 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Same. Gravel Vaccuming just makes everything easier. :) I can now do a partial water change in my 10 gallon in just 20 minutes.LOL
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #95 
Laki

I have 2 sponges in my filter and 1 carbonless filter (cut off the top and dumped the carbon in the garbage) so I rinse out at least one of them each major water change. Don't knwo what this does to my cycle but I had some nasty planaria and cyclops infestations (though they're okay I just like to know I'm denting their population each time).. I don't overfeed so I don;t know why they're there.
If you want a silk plant perfect! Live plants I'm about to just give up. My tank is like plagued and I kill all my plants so I can only offer marimo moss, java fern and anubias as totally hardy plans (bc I haven't killed mine yet lol) must count for something.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #96 
Sakura8

Chances are you don't have enough light for most live plants anyway. You can try anubias, java fern, and java moss, though.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #97 
Aqua Betta

Sakura8, MaisyDawgThirteen, and Laki,

Thank you all for your replies. Great information about the filters and vacuums. I have three windows in my office, so I may try a real plant in addition to the two silk ones. I may be stopping by to check in on BeBe later today.

Sakura8, what was that water conditioner you were telling be about and where do you buy it? Thanks for letting me know.

Take care all and thanks again for your help.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #98 
Sakura8

Seachem Prime. You can get it at Petco, Petsmart, or any indepedent fish store. :)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #99 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I use Seachem Prime too. It is great stuff, and will save you a lot of money in the long run.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #100 
Aqua Betta

Thank you Sakura8 and MaisyDawgThirteen. I will look for the Seachem Prime.

I went to see BeBe today and he's doing fine. Swimming along at the top and he ate 5 mini-pellets.

Thanks again for all of your help!