Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

WC frequency for betta with fin rot in cycled tank?

Both of my boys have fin rot for the first time! Shiny is in an unfiltered 2.5 gallon and Fishie is in a filtered, cycled 5 gallon. I'm really surprised Fishie got fin rot now. He had a biting problem so he was in a hospital tank for about a month but his fins started growing back and I could tell he hated being in that one-gallon tank, so I put him back in the 5 gallon. Now, about a week and a half later, he has fin rot. Anyway, I'd like to know how often to do partial water changes in his tank.
In Shiny's tank (2.5 gal) I'm going to do a partial WC every day, with a 100% WC every 3 days.
But because Fishie's tank is filtered and cycled, How often should I do water changes? I discovered they both had fin rot two days ago, so I did a 100% change in the 2.5 gallon and about a 40% water change in the 5 gallon. I added Stress Coat and AQ salt to both tanks and dropped in half of a large, dried oak leaf in each of their tanks.
Last night I did another WC in both tanks- a little more than 50% in the 2.5 and a 30% in the 5 gallon. This time I made a sort of tea out of oak leaves and added that to their water along with AQ salt and Stress Coat.
Shiny's dorsal fin looks better already- the hole is smaller and there's only a small red mark on the edge of the hole. The red on the edge of the fin is gone.
But anyway, that ended up being longer than I intended. Does my fin rot treatment sound ok? Does my WC schedule for both tanks sound ok- partial WC daily for both with a full WC on the 2.5 every 3 days?
Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I say one or two 50 prevents weekly.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote