Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 
xxkatcxx

Talking Does anyone else's betta do this silly thing?

Maybe it's not THAT silly to others but I think it kinda is. My betta fish, Storm, a male crown tail, flares at me when I'm in my room and my light is off. Its kinda funny cuz he hardly ever flares really and he is healthy. My room isn't even that dark what with the light from the aquarium and a little tap light for my baby rats. I tested by turning my light on and he stopped after that. I'm not concerned or anything, just thought it was kinda silly and wanted to share it with all of you :) .
xxkatcxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
harleraven

Maybe when the light is off he cannot see you as well, so he thinks any movement must be another betta? LOL. Silly guy!
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

with his tank light on but the room lights off he sees his reflection in every surface of the glass, leading him to flare all over the place. it's actually pretty common, and a decent substitute if you don't have a mirror small enough to move around his tank for him.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 
xxkatcxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
with his tank light on but the room lights off he sees his reflection in every surface of the glass, leading him to flare all over the place. it's actually pretty common, and a decent substitute if you don't have a mirror small enough to move around his tank for him.
That makes sense, I didn't think of that. But I think I'd rather imagine that he's playing with me xD
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkatcxx View Post
That makes sense, I didn't think of that. But I think I'd rather imagine that he's playing with me xD
if you wanna have a LOT of fun playing with him, get a laser pointer or a thin-beam flashlight. he'll chase the dot/beam all over just like a cat.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Mine flares at me when her tank light is off and the lights in the room are dim. She also flares at me when she's pooping. I guess she likes to go in private :D
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #7 
xxkatcxx

Homegrown terror, I think I will do that! That seems like fun. And I have cats too so I know they'll like it if I use it to play with them too :).

Sainthogan, that's really funny xD. Guess fishies need privacy to do their business too hehe.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #8 
Viva

Quote:
if you wanna have a lot of fun playing with him, get a laser pointer or a thin-beam flashlight. He'll chase the dot/beam all over just like a cat.
omg i need to try this right now. Afk
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
if you wanna have a LOT of fun playing with him, get a laser pointer or a thin-beam flashlight. he'll chase the dot/beam all over just like a cat.
Jasper likes when I turn the heater on and off because of the light. I unplug it and the light goes off and she darts at it and stares at it. When she's just about to swim away again I plug it back in and when the little light comes on, she darts right back to it and stares at it. It's so funny I kept doing it last night then realized I should stop so I don't short my heater out. haha.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flares in dark, silly betta