Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #2931 
labloverl

So you already have a current cycled tank set up? How big? What filter? Yes the BB will carry over. I don't know much about instant cycles, but I believe that you will still have to test the water for a week or so to make sure everything is in order. And no, you don't change the cartridges until they're actually falling apart. You just rinse them in the water you take out during water changes. If you start a new thread on this, you should get a lot more help.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #2932 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Hallyx, I'm wanting to more gravel to my cycled 10 gallon so I bought a new bag. The new bag of gravel has been rinse and soaked in a bucket of tap water, and it is now soaking in conditioned water. I'm asking if I need to let the new gravel soak before adding it to the 10 gallon.
After it's cleaned thoroughly, there is no real reason to let it soak for long.. go ahead and just add it into the tank. Never had to soak new gravel for any period of time, and have had no health/tank issues from placing in new gravel as long as it was thoroughly cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky12 View Post
Also, if they live in the filter cartridges, are you suppose to change them? Or just rinse them in old tank water?
Depends on the type of filter- carbons you change monthly, while sponges you squeeze in tank water you just removed to clean them, only replacing when it's shredded. If you have a filter that has only one insert then I would place the new one in with the old one for a week or two so the new one has time to build up the bacteria.
Keep in mind you will also have bacteria in your gravel, and on some of the rocks/driftwood if you have any in your tank.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #2933 
Freyja
Banned

The only reason to change a carbon is if you are medicating a tank. Otherwise, leave the cartridge alone, swishing it in tank water to clean it and replace when falling apart only after seeding new cartridge.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #2934 
aqua001

Ok, so if you have a neon tetra that hogs all the food and another that gets close to no food, what do you do? Thanks!
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #2935 
BabyBetta0108

do juvenile bettas need to be fasted once a week as well? or is that only for full grown adult bettas
BabyBetta0108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #2936 
Neil D

@BabyBetta,

Some people recommend fasting bettas, some don't. It's really personal preference.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #2937 
emaleeluna

I've killed my female and I'm sick to my stomach. I put her and the male together. They were getting along fine, should have known something bad was going to happen right then. They were swimming together, no flaring, very little chasing. I watched them for hours. The next morning I woke up and half his fins were gone, she was fine. I moved him back to his tank, put him in a salt bath and he is doing fine. She had no wounds at all. She even seemed to pine the loss of him leaving. Then that night, she had labored breathing for about an hour so I took her out, was going to put her in her own tank with a bit of salt, incase she had wounds that I couldn't see and within 10 minutes, she was dead. The only other thing in the tank is 2 cories and 1 upside down cat. They had to have just beaten the hell out of each other all night, don't you guys agree? I don't think the catfish tore up the male and it was just a coinscidence she died. Cories aren't even nippers, right? And, they were all together for 3 months before, there were no problems. Any ideas? Thanks. I feel so bad.
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #2938 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaleeluna View Post
I've killed my female and I'm sick to my stomach. I put her and the male together. They were getting along fine, should have known something bad was going to happen right then. They were swimming together, no flaring, very little chasing. I watched them for hours. The next morning I woke up and half his fins were gone, she was fine. I moved him back to his tank, put him in a salt bath and he is doing fine. She had no wounds at all. She even seemed to pine the loss of him leaving. Then that night, she had labored breathing for about an hour so I took her out, was going to put her in her own tank with a bit of salt, incase she had wounds that I couldn't see and within 10 minutes, she was dead. The only other thing in the tank is 2 cories and 1 upside down cat. They had to have just beaten the hell out of each other all night, don't you guys agree? I don't think the catfish tore up the male and it was just a coinscidence she died. Cories aren't even nippers, right? And, they were all together for 3 months before, there were no problems. Any ideas? Thanks. I feel so bad.
Maybe she had internal injuries?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #2939 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaleeluna View Post
Don't feel bad. Odds are the cories didn't do anything. Not sure about the catfish, but I kind of doubt it. The general consensus is never to put bettas together unless it is a sorority (5+ females in a 10g+ tank), or an attempt at breeding (that too the male and female don't stay together long). It happens to people. Deep breath, learn from your mistake, and carry on. :)
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #2940 
emaleeluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Don't feel bad. Odds are the cories didn't do anything. Not sure about the catfish, but I kind of doubt it. The general consensus is never to put bettas together unless it is a sorority (5+ females in a 10g+ tank), or an attempt at breeding (that too the male and female don't stay together long). It happens to people. Deep breath, learn from your mistake, and carry on. :)
Thanks so much Neil. I had gotten so attatched to her. I was looking at the bettas @ WalMart one night and as you know, all they sell are males, but I looked at her and fell in love. Clearly, someone had made a mistake because I am 100% sure she was female (she had the little white spot, ovi-something, can't remember what it was called. Anyway, I snapped her up so fast I think I might have made her dizzy. haha So I had her in the community tank and she had become my favorite (shh, don't tell the boys!) and I just thought that since they were always staring at each other (her staring more at him than him at her) they might want to meet. When I put them together, it was the cutest, sweetest thing and then apparently it all went to hell after I was finished staring at them for 3 hours straight. Thanks again for the nice words. I would love to get another female, but am a little gunshy now. I have 4 boys, Handsome Bob, Archie, 1,2 and Mumbles, he's the one that is missing fins now, but he seems to be doing well. He had an actual hole in his tail where it didn't split, and it's completely closed already. I can't tell if the fin is growing back yet, but there's definitely no fin rot, fingers crossed. Do you think I should do anything other than salt right now? I know they can only be in any kind of salt for 2 weeks at a time. I'm changing the tank every 3 days, well, plan to start today. Any other tips so that I can get him beautiful again? Thanks again for the support. I miss her so much, her name was Camille.
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote