Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #11 
kfryman

Oh so they can just adapt easier than other fish, got it. Wonder why that is, like why only some fish but not others? I think I need a biologist lol.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #12 
MrVampire181

I have hard water and a neutral pH. Never tested KH before and no do I feel the need to. Bettas are very tolerant of water parameters.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #13 
ZackyBear

Hmm...I'll have to keep this in mind. I've bee browsing around the forums for a while ever since I decided I wanted another beta. I found some really beautiful ones at the Petco across the street~

But right now I'm just doing research and saving money for the setup~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #14 
Kim

Just to add to what has been stated already, KH stands for carbonate hardness and measures the amount of carbonate and bicarbonate anions in the water. GH stands for general hardness and measures the amount of dissolved minerals (most prominently Ca 2+ and Mg 2+) in the water. pH measures the hydrogen ion concentration, with acidic water (low pH) having high concentrations and alkaline (high pH) water having low concentrations.

Last edited by Kim; 04-17-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #15 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Oh so they can just adapt easier than other fish, got it. Wonder why that is, like why only some fish but not others? I think I need a biologist lol.
I can't say for sure, but what makes sense to me is that they probably have very efficient ion pumps in their gills to control the ion concentration in their bloodstream, along with kidneys that can effectively dilute or concentrate urine to either conserve or rid the body of excess ions/water.

Just as a side note, anadromous fish such as salmon are pretty cool in that the ion pumps in their gills are reversible, allowing them to spend time in fresh and salt water. They can take in ions in freshwater with low ion concentrations and expel ions when in highly concentrated saltwater. The kidneys work in sync with this process. Kinda neat .
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #16 
Katy

Along this line, how important than is pH to a betta? My tap water is on the lower end, 6.7ish, and I've added baking soda occasionally to adjust it but not consistently, as I don't like to use a lot of additives. I cannot tell if my bettas cared one way or the other, as long as the change was not abrupt.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #17 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy View Post
Along this line, how important than is pH to a betta? My tap water is on the lower end, 6.7ish, and I've added baking soda occasionally to adjust it but not consistently, as I don't like to use a lot of additives. I cannot tell if my bettas cared one way or the other, as long as the change was not abrupt.
Just don't do it, your betta may stress because of the random pH changes. I would say it is not needed at all, also you are in the okay pH so don't mess with it.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #18 
Katy

Ok thanks!
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #19 
Perry the platypus

Do you use hard or soft water in your betta tank?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #20 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry the platypus View Post
Do you use hard or soft water in your betta tank?
Use tap water. The general consensus is that betta are highly adaptable and will tolerate most types of water.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote