Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

Flutter just died of DROPSY. Tank mate at risk!

So I just came home from being gone 4 days with a pet sitter and Flutter, died promptly after only an hour of my return. He was kinda sick before I left but he was eating fine and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Can someone help me? What causes Dropsy and is it contagious? What should I put Mayim (his old tank mate) on to prevent him from dying? Should I treat any of my other bettas? Please help!

Thanks... :( I am very sad that he died. I didn't even know he had pineconed until after he was gone...
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #2 
AltheaGlyndwr

By the way Flutter is my profile picture. That's how good he looked when I brought him home. Shortly after though he began to tail-bite and destroyed his fins :/
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 
AltheaGlyndwr

So if I shouldn't be worried about Mayim can someone respond please? I really don't want to lose another betta. :/
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #4 
cjz96

I'm sorry for your loss. He was very beautiful. Dropsy is usually caused by a bacteria takeover and thus, organ failure. The bacteria is contagious. I would take Mayim out into a quarantine tank and clean out the tank he was in. Vinegar and hot water is usually safe to use. Let the tank dry for a couple days then you can clean it again with vinegar just to be safe. Make sure to wash out all of the vinegar afterwards. I would just keep an eye on your other bettas for any signs, mostly Mayim, who was in contact with Flutter. I wouldn't give Mayim any tank mates just yet, he may not get dropsy but may be a carrier.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Dropsy itself isn't really a disease, but a symptom of whatever bacteria, parasite, fungus etc causes it. Sometimes it can be contagious.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...th-dropsy.aspx
Better safe than sorry. I would clean everything with vinegar or boiling water (both work).
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #6 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thank you, both of you. What should I do with the plants that have been in the tank? Also will I need to re-cycle my tank with a new biofilter and filter and everything?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Dropsy itself isn't really a disease, but a symptom of whatever bacteria, parasite, fungus etc causes it. Sometimes it can be contagious.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...th-dropsy.aspx
Better safe than sorry. I would clean everything with vinegar or boiling water (both work).

^+1
dropsy isn't specifically bacterial or fungal or whatever, its simply an indication that the fish are having internal fluid build up due to some internal problems.
you can use vinegar or bleach. make sure to wipe down rinsed bleached tanks with extra strength dechlorinator, wash clean, then let sit in thesun for a few days.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #8 
Knitterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
^+1
dropsy isn't specifically bacterial or fungal or whatever, its simply an indication that the fish are having internal fluid build up due to some internal problems.
you can use vinegar or bleach. make sure to wipe down rinsed bleached tanks with extra strength dechlorinator, wash clean, then let sit in thesun for a few days.
It does sound like everyone is recommending a complete breakdown of the tank and re-cycling. I'm considering having to do the same thing, after two of my girls died of Dropsy this weekend.

Our LFS recommended treating the big tank with Maracyn 2 in case it was bacterial dropsy. They also stated that I would NOT have to recycle the tank after using Maracyn 2. I think I'll keep a close eye on levels anyways, since I'm not sure I believe that one.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 
Pogthefish

There was a divider dividing the 2 fish right?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote