Originally Posted by aokashi
dropsy isn't specifically bacterial or fungal or whatever, its simply an indication that the fish are having internal fluid build up due to some internal problems.
you can use vinegar or bleach. make sure to wipe down rinsed bleached tanks with extra strength dechlorinator, wash clean, then let sit in thesun for a few days.
It does sound like everyone is recommending a complete breakdown of the tank and re-cycling. I'm considering having to do the same thing, after two of my girls died of Dropsy this weekend.
Our LFS recommended treating the big tank with Maracyn 2 in case it was bacterial dropsy. They also stated that I would NOT have to recycle the tank after using Maracyn 2. I think I'll keep a close eye on levels anyways, since I'm not sure I believe that one.