Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #1 
amyt

Putting a female in with my male

I've had my male betta for 6 months or so, I've tried to put in the first female I bought and she died with in 4 days, but really never swam from bottom of tank. that was about a month ago, 2 days ago I purchased another female and she again is laying on bottom of tank and looks to be breathing exteremly heavy, almost the same pattern as the first female I put in.. any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?? Maybe my male is to aggresive and I'm missing him attacking them?? I dont know what to do?

thanks for any help
amyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

myself wouldnt put two bettas together when they opposite sex unless i am trying to breed them (which i wouldnt).
how big is the tank?
is it heated? filtered?
are there plenty of hiding places (eg. caves, plants, etc)?

how is the male doing. is he active and happy?
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #3 
amyt

my male is very happy or at least seems to be..he hasnt actually told me..lol...there are plenty of hiding places and the tank is filtered and heated.. maybe he's just likes to be the 1 and only fish
Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #4 
GeegaFish

I'm suspecting the females are dying due to stress or perhaps, as you are thinking, they're getting attacked by the male when you're not looking. Bettas don't generally do well with tank mates, with the exception of females....meaning girls tend to get along ok with other girls. This is usually only true in larger tanks, though, from what I've learned and isn't fool proof. Some Bettas like to "rule the roost" so to speak and won't share their space.

From what I've read about pairing Bettas (male & female), the courtship is usually short and should be approached with caution also. Some males and females won't get along well even when you're trying to mate them.

Bettas are wonderful fish to keep with lots of character and beautiful colors/patterns, but they are still sensitive to the usual calamities that befall fish. I had a very aggressive female once whose death I inadvertenly caused when I introduced some larger, more aggressive tank mates. She was in a 40 gallon and literally got chased to death by some Giant Danios. I was horrified and guilt ridden, but it showed me how sensitive any fish can be to stress.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your fishie!
GeegaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #5 
okiemavis

It also sounds like the male is not allowing the female to surface and therefore breath. She may very likely be suffocating to death (bettas breath atmospheric air). Definitely rehome her asap.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #6 
amyt

Thanks a bunch!!! I took her out about an hour ago and just put her in a bowl to see how she'd do, and she swimming all over and doing great!!! I think we'll leave him in his tank and get a new tank for her... thank you all!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #7 
SST

ahhh....the beginnings of MTS (multiple tank syndrome)

Welcome to the club!
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #8 
okiemavis

Awesome, glad to hear she's doing better. There's a really great sticky on the top of the betta section that gives you all the guidelines for setting up a betta tank if you're looking for help.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote