Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 
MidTnBetta

Hard water?

So I was lucky and managed to snag a 5 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank today at a yard sale, both with all accessories and some small decorations. I paid $15 total for both including two stands. So far, I've got the 5 gallon set up and no leaks, etc. My VT boy doesn't know what to do with himself with all the new room. The 10 gallon will be a community tank *hopefully* with my Double ray CT The only thing I'm not thrilled with is on the 5 I think either the top is broken, or all the lightbulbs are shot. I tried pulling the two lightbulbs out of the 10 gallon and none of them work in the 5. Anyway, on to the question.

The 10 gallon had the old "kept in the garage, not used in forever" film to it. I figured it was just dust and it needed a good cleaning. I got it home and went to cleaning it outside. The "dust" actually looks like hard water build up. I used a scrubby dish sponge and got some of it off, but there's still a ton in there. Is there anything I can use to get the hard water grunge off? I don't want to use the typical all purpose household cleaners as I'm anal about what gets put into a fish tank, but I'd really like to get it all out. The scrubby sponge did well but it took me about 2 hours of soaking and scrubbing to make a dent. I've got it outside right now soaking overnight to see if any of the stuff will soften and come off. Any ideas or tips?

The betas were in 1 gallon tanks when I got them (I know bad mommy.. but they both had daily water changes) so I'm really wanting to get my CT (Atlas) into a bigger tank pronto. My VT (Cooper) loves his new digs.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i have very hard water, about 8.0-8.4, and have two bettas, a VT and HMDT, and they are as healthy and as happy as can be!
They thrive!

Chances are you will get your betta from a LFS or local breeder, and if they are in the same area as you they will most likely have the same water, so the betta should be already adapted to your communtiites water hardness, but still acclimate it
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #3 
MidTnBetta

I don't have hard water, whoever I bought the tank from did. lol The bettas came from Walmart so I don't know if they're actually from a local breeder or not.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Vinegar I believe gets off hard water & will rinse out easily not leaving a chemical residue to worry about. Also use a razor blade for the really bad build up.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #5 
MidTnBetta

Awesome! Thank you. Will White vinegar work? I've got some in the cabinet and I'll give that a try in the morning.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

That's what I have & use on my glass lid, I have VERY hard water & where the filter splashes up, the glass has bad hard water spots. The vinegar helps get it off. If you read the side of the bottle, I believe, it gives directions on use for hard water stains.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

That is what I use too...White vinegar to clean the mineral deposits off.
All my tanks are second hand....When I first get one-I set it up outside on a level surface and fill with water and diluted bleach 20:1 and let it sit for the 24h leak test. If it came with other supplies-like filter, heater, decorations...etc...that I plan to use too. I place them in the tank for that 24h and will hook the filter up to let it run at least for an hour or so.

Then I scrub and rinse well....If it has mineral deposits I use vinegar and a razor blade if its glass-being careful around the seals. If its acrylic I use vinegar and acrylic safe scrubber.

On my final fill I use double dose dechlorinater....

On the lights-Check for a starter if they are florescent lights-often that needs to be changed too. I always change out both the light bulbs and starter when I get a second hand hood/light strip and then yearly thereafter.

Look forward to pics once you get them setup....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 
MidTnBetta

Haha thought I knew a little bit about aquariums but I was wrong. My community tank was pretty well self sufficient with me just needing to do water changes and test it. It was all mollies and sword tails with a couple of tetras. Well till the frog ate the tetras.

Anywho... Starter? Is that the switch on the back that turns it on and off? I'm clueless on that one. I soaked it overnight in Listerine/water mixture. I use it with my horses water buckets to sanitize stuff and have carried that over to other uses. lol No leaks and everythings good. I used the vinegar and everything came off. The tank glass has a slight haze in spots, but nothing too bad. I've got it set up and cycling right now. Just need to get more decorations, etc. I'm going to Walmart to get some bulbs for it. (No petsmart and LPS closes early) I'll try to get some pics when everything's up and running. Just having some drama with my VT now thinking he'd look cooler as a Crown Tail. *head desk*

Forgot to mention both tanks are glass. The 10 gallon is a Regent (?) the 5 gallon is a Tetra I think. I've gotta find the book that came with it.

Last edited by MidTnBetta; 10-22-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Like this...
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ight%20Starter

I get mine at wal mart in the lighting dept...be sure and get the correct watts for the light.

If you plan on adding live plants-get a new light bulb too. I get mine in the lighting dept..."Daylight" 6500k 20w for the 10gal and less watts on the 5gal-the hood should indicate the max watts you can use in them.

Nice find by the way....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-22-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #10 
MidTnBetta

Thanks! I've got both tanks set up now. Just need more decor. Here's the 5 gallon.

The 10 gallon-

I found some mini fluorescent lights at walmart. They were out of the regular tank light bulbs so I had to get these. Go figure. I like the white light look in the tank though vrs a yellowish tinge to a regular bulb. I got them in the pet dept.