Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

1-2 gallon tanks/bowls

I have noticed for the time I have been on here there has been a constant heated debate about tank size - and do you know what that really causes? People who NEED our help to be deterred because they feel that they might be frowned upon by others. Why? Because in their time of need some people feel the urge to complicate things by constantly pushing about tank size or temperature. I think it is time for people to come forth, and not give a flying rat's toot about what others think.

So for this thread, just drop the squabble in the chicken coop, and share our 1-2 gallons?

That is right, 1-2 gallons. Here I would like people to actually come together and show how they have set up their 1-2 gallon betta habitats. I am not going to be afraid of showing how I keep my healthy bettas - why should you?

Mine

Charlie is in a 1 gallon hexagon tank with a top cover. He has two fake fabric plants in the center of lovely white sand. He also has an IAL at the top. He sits between my living room and kitchen, a way to get him to stop biting his fins. He used to be in my bedroom alone, which is where he started to chew off his fins x.x

My lovely koi plakat lady is a new arrival. She is unsure about her surroundings, but seems a lot more relaxed now that she is not in an ever changing hectic environment with other female bettas. She has blue sand, live java fern and a fake sword plant. She is not eating, but that I expected considering she is new, and orignally from a stressful environment. Poor girl!

Please no posts about how it's "wrong", this is not the thread to complain, this is a thread to share and enjoy! So... share... and enjoy!
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 
megaredize

to me size doesnt matter as much as maintenence and is it heated. A lot of people dont heat or clean out their small tanks and then theres the problem. I myself use critter keepers but they are 3 gallons or 3.5. i do have a 1.5 gallon one as a back up one or hosiptal tank. I have never really found a 1 gallon i liked for my own use. Your tanks look good. I like the plants in them all.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Thanks :) I don't have these tanks downstairs as without heaters they become well below 70 degrees. Hence why the 5 is empty They are upstairs since I am crazy and hate cold at all cost :p So the heat obviously rises and upstairs is hot.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 
megaredize

ya my room gets really warm in the winter so i doubt my heaters will be on much but at night we let the heat drop so i still need them
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 
AquaKai

This is a great thread, personally I don't have any tanks within that size range, my smallest is a 2.5, but I think that this will encourage many people to be open about their tanks. Too many times have people been turned off to fish keeping, betta keeping especially, because so many people have attacked them for keeping their betta in-gasp-a 1.5g tank or less! It is too often thought that small tank=bad owner. I can't wait to see some amazing tanks!
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 
BettaQi

Sean, I appreciate the dedication it takes to keep up small tAnks!

When I had 5 bettas back from 2004-2008, I kept them wall in one gallon tanks and did water changes twice per week.

Now I have 2 two gallon Spec 2 s and a 5.5 standard that I keep at 3 g for my bettas.

Well post pics later when I'm at a desktop machine.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 
RichardA

Glad you brought this up! I have kept and spawned tons and tons of fish of varying species in 2.5 gallon tanks over the course of many many years. With good filtration, maintenance and correct temps the fish do great!
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 
megaredize

not to mention, some of these fish need a smaller tank because they get stressed out in larger tanks. I have heard over and over again that someone's betta will only stop fin biting when it is moved to a smaller tank. A couple of mine stopped when they got moved into their 3 gal critter keepers. I dont use a filter in them so that might also be the reason. I think breeding these fish has almost gotten the betta used to smaller tanks because a lot of times they are kept in smaller areas with the breeders.

oh and i really like the spec tanks i have the spec 5 gallon, i want to get the updated spec 2.6 gallon for a nice HM hopefully in the future
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Too many times have people been turned off to fish keeping, betta keeping especially, because so many people have attacked them for keeping their betta in-gasp-a 1.5g tank or less! It is too often thought that small tank=bad owner. I can't wait to see some amazing tanks!
that is exactly my point! I have had people talk to me in pm (names unspoken) about their tanks because they are too afraid to make a thread, because they will be ridiculed. :(

Quote:
When I had 5 bettas back from 2004-2008, I kept them wall in one gallon tanks and did water changes twice per week.
And you kept up with water changes - which can be difficult sometimes! Good for you :)

Quote:
Glad you brought this up! I have kept and spawned tons and tons of fish of varying species in 2.5 gallon tanks over the course of many many years. With good filtration, maintenance and correct temps the fish do great!
thanks, I wanted to encourage people to be open about it, and willing to share and learn from others who have similar experiences.

Quote:
not to mention, some of these fish need a smaller tank because they get stressed out in larger tanks.
I have had a few, to be truthful. Some who needed larger tanks, others who refused anything but their smaller tanks. I learned to deal with it and but my fish before me. If they needed a smaller more maintanence loaded tank, then so be it - if it meant my fish were going to be happy and healthy.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #10 
sareena79

HOOO-RAY!!!! someone finally said it :)
my "tank" is one of the dreaded vases (GASP!) but here's the deal...
its a 2gallon vase (I measured!)
he has a heater (under tank, keeps it at a steady 80deg)
he has a thermometer
he has an actively growing pothos plant to filter out toxins
he has oak leaves in his tank to strengthen his fins
he gets weekly 100% water changes
he has a light (daylight and moonlight settings)
he has a fake plant @ the bottom he loves to hide in and explore
he is fed once a day and is about to start on a product called Vita-Chem which is supposed to be GREAT for his scales/fins
HE IS SPOILED ROTTEN!
b/c he has such long heavy fins he spends most of his day chilling out in his pothos leaves so a bigger tank would probably go to waste on him. he jaunts around when hes feeling froggy then its right back into his roots (oh and he has plenty of surface space to get fresh air)
heres a pic or 2 (or 3 lol), sorry its crappy I was trying to get the whole thing in there.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote