Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #21 
flyingpony22

Gotcha. Thanks so much everyone! I'm expecting multis in the spawn just based off of the males genetics alone so I don't mind it. Finding a good female is so hard! Haha can someone explain which branching they're referring to? I'm a little confused as to what looks like too much and what is good for my male.

Here's another female. She's completely different from the others I've picke so far. Her anal doesn't overlap yet but I'm guess cause she's young? Her caudal also isn't as big as the others, but I really like her coloring

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1351025037
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes good females are very hard to find. Patience is truly a virtue in this case. Lol . For future "hunting", best look for a female first then seek a male for her - much much easier.

About rays; this is just an illustration
Name:  End ray -copy.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  21.6 KB
This illustration shows 8 and 4 end rays. Notice how each ray branches into 8/4 rays. That's what we mean when we say "8 ray" caudal. You need a betta that only branches into 2 or 4 rays.

The yellow female seems to be 2 ray - not clear because she is not flaring. Her caudal has rather round edges. Her dorsal may have potential - the front ray seems long and almost upright (thus when she flares it may be upright). Her anal is short (something you want in young bettas because they will grow faster/more than caudal) so it will be balanced when she ages. Her body is not symmetrical and not good topline. Further she has uneven scales (bumpy side body).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #23 
flyingpony22

Ohh gotcha! That diagram helps so much! You made it really clear now. Yes in the future I will definitely do that. Haha I thought I was set with my original pair but clearly not. This was supposed to be just my trial pair to see if I was up to the commitment of spawning before I invested on an imported pair but it seems as though it would have just been easier if I had done this from the start. Haha figures. Oh well, my search for a suitable female continues. Thanks for all your contined help :)
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote