Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #31 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I will have to say petco and petsmart are not better than walmart. Petco sells babies which should be illegal. Petsmart stacks cups and fish suffocate. They also sell females toooo young GRRRRR. All of those stores are on my rescue list.
In my experience, all the stores are different - it depends on who is managing them. The Petco near me does a great job with their bettas, but the Petco in the next town is disgusting.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #32 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I will have to say petco and petsmart are not better than walmart. Petco sells babies which should be illegal. Petsmart stacks cups and fish suffocate. They also sell females toooo young GRRRRR. All of those stores are on my rescue list.
For here, Petco is the worse out of the three not only in fish care but in customer service. Walmart is walmart. They aren't a petstore and I know the one I worked in only had people in that dept at night- doing the stocking. Petsmart is 40 miles away. I dont visit often but they seem to be a bit better - fish look more healthy and so do their aquatic plants.

When I was in Alaska, all 23 of my bettas were from walmart. Some were in bad shape, some were OK. I would think the ones in walmart have a better change of getting a home simply because they are $5 at max as oppsed to petco which can charge up to $20 depending on the tail type.

The last one I got was from petsmart. She has some kind of back/spine deformity but looked healthy other then that so I took her home.

As for selling young females - as long as they are not babies, they should be OK. All the females I have gotten from Petco have been young as well and all have grown up just fine. Thw only thing I would caution about is some of the females are very young VT males ... which may cause a problem if you are getting them for a soerity.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-17-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #33 
BettaGirl228

Everytime i go to Petco the Bettas are always in clean water and look healthy and are active, Maybe be different at other petcos. I brought a gorgeous female betta tonight at petco and she likes to jump i bought a tank with a lid so she wont get out,Shes a fiesty girl too wow.
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #34 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I think it all depends on the individual stores. It does seem that Walmart is the worst. None of the Walmarts in my area sell bettas. And like a couple people said on this thread, their local walmarts actually take good care of their fish.
But I still think Petco and Petsmart are better. I saw them changing the water in the betta cups one day while I was in Petsmart. I've never seen dying, dead, or sick bettas there until yesterday when I saved one with pretty bad fin rot (and I think she may have arrived in the store that way because her water was still very blue). And they don't stack their cups there, either. I do agree that their females are SUPER young, though. I don't think it's bad, though, because they will eat adult food and everything.
I have seen numerous dead bettas in one Petco, though. But another Petco in the area takes good care of their bettas and all their fish in general, it seems. I've never seen a dead fish until I went in one time and a GIANT "ghost shrimp" was nomming on a fish (not sure what kind of fish it was) that was larger than itself.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-19-2012 at 10:59 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #35 
prosthetik

I am so glad that in Australia you can only get pets/fish from Pet Stores, not big chain stores [not that we have Walmart here - but from everything I hear its not that great anyway lol]
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #36 
BettaGirl228

Ok i have a baby Betta and I think she has Swim Bladder because she is swimming on her side and its like shes off kilter when she swims and i was told to give her a pea everyday until she starts swimming better and she is Bloated too they told me to take the skin off before giving it to her then mush it up and put in her tank I don't want my little girl to die so is this the right thing to do...Please help me I am worried about her. all she does is swims for a bit then shes up at the tank floating im so scared shes gonna die Please help me!!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #37 
Wendyjo

Every time you purchase a fish from a store that keeps them in bad conditions, you are simply rewarding them for their neglect by giving them your cash. They'll turn around and replace the fish you just "rescued" with another one that they'll treat just as bad and the cycle will continue.

If you really want to help then stop buying from that store and tell the store manager exactly why you're taking our business somewhere else. Then go home, contact HQ, and report the problem.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #38 
BettaGirl228

Ok but that doesnt help me about my baby betta thats sick.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #39 
Savageajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
Every time you purchase a fish from a store that keeps them in bad conditions, you are simply rewarding them for their neglect by giving them your cash. They'll turn around and replace the fish you just "rescued" with another one that they'll treat just as bad and the cycle will continue.
I completely agree. I also agree every store is different, it all depends on the person working that department and how much they care.
Savageajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #40 
logisticsguy

I do not think the pea is a good idea. Maybe a start would be a water change but make sure to use a conditioner. Do you have a heater and what temp. is it. Do you have pictures of your fish many questions I will try to help. Look at some of the stickys in the care forum.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote