Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #1 
SinX7

Looking for a new Tank and accessories!

I'm in the market of getting a new Tank for my first Betta! My girlfriend got me my first pet and he is a Betta! I think he is a CT. Blue (My favorite color!)!

He is on the Aqueon Minibow 1 and it looks a bit small IMO.

So what is the next size I should get? I prefer to have the most recommend tank, so I don't have to keep changing. I prefer it have enough room for some live plants, decor, filter, heater, thermo, lights, air pump (Unless I don't need it).
Pretty much, I want my Betta to feel like he is a Prince in his Royal Tank lol. I don't want it too big, since Its going to be in my girlfriend room, which is not that big.

Any accessories you guys want to recommend also? I want the best one for the money, Not too expensive tho lol. Like I said, I want him to feel like a Prince!
Also I need recommendation for the best heater! Winter coming up, and up here, it gets pretty cold!

Thank you everyone! :D

Last edited by SinX7; 10-24-2012 at 02:13 AM.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Hey congrats!

Most recommended by people are 5 gallons, but you can go 10 gallons too.

Decoration, most recommended is silk plants or live plants and any ornament that can't tear a fish's fins or scratch him (smooth) And gravel or sand to allow your ornaments and plants to settle in.

Need things for a 5 gallon tank is, a led light that won't give out much heat, a soft filter that won't bring in too much current, a heater that will keep water temperature steady between 75-85F. And a gravel vaccum since performing 100% water changes in a +5 gallon will be rare and will be mostly 50%-70% and you'll need to get the gunk from the gravel out. A thermo to control the temp of the heater.

Heater would depend on the tank size you decide to get, preferrably you would want one that auto adjusts or you can adjust yourself, I can't really give suggestions at the moment.

Air pump isn't really needed, because betta's don't fully rely on water to breathe, besides the current they produce might be too stressful, betta's don't enjoy strong currents plus with their long fins it makes it harder for them to swim, unless you get perhaps a very big tank where the current isn't all too much and intend to get a tank mate or two.

Also don't forget to get a first aid kid for betta's in case he gets sick, aq salt, something against parasites like ich and velvet, something to fight fin rot, epsom salt and medicine against fungus and gill flukes. This is important you never know when your fish can get sick and might as well be prepared :)

Ah and don't forget water conditioner :3 I usually stack up on this.

Then if you really want to spoil your betta, give him a varied diet with freezed dried bloodworms, brine shrimp, flakes and pellets :D though he might not like some brands of pellets and flakes, they are very picky eaters at times and will only eat icky food out of desperation lol. My bettas would rather die than eat flakes lol. But live blood worms and shrimp are treats not something to be fed on a daily basis.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-24-2012 at 02:30 AM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #3 
SinX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
Most recommended by people are 5 gallons, but you can go 10 gallons too.

Decoration, most recommended is silk plants or live plants and any ornament that can't tear a fish's fins or scratch him (smooth) And gravel or sand to allow your ornaments and plants to settle in.

Need things for a 5 gallon tank is, a led light that won't give out much heat, a soft filter that won't bring in too much current, a heater that will keep water temperature steady between 75-85F. And a gravel vaccum since performing 100% water changes in a +5 gallon will be rare and will be mostly 50%-70% and you'll need to get the gunk from the gravel out. A thermo to control the temp of the heater.

Heater would depend on the tank size you decide to get, preferrably you would want one that auto adjusts or you can adjust yourself, I can't really give suggestions at the moment.

Air pump isn't really needed, because betta's don't fully rely on water to breathe, besides the current they produce might be too stressful, betta's don't enjoy strong currents plus with their long fins it makes it harder for them to swim, unless you get perhaps a very big tank where the current isn't all too much and intend to get a tank mate or two.

Also don't forget to get a first aid kid for betta's in case he gets sick, aq salt, something against parasites like ich and velvet, something to fight fin rot, epsom salt and medicine against fungus and gill flukes. This is important you never know when your fish can get sick and might as well be prepared :)

Hope this helps :)
Thank you for this helpful post! Will be looking to get a 5 gallon or so!

I would love to get a recommendation on a heater, since the tank temp drop to 72 today :/ Had to turn on the light for heat.

I was thinking of getting those low flow and wall air bubble tube thing, but I guess I'll cross that off, since I went to Petsmart and the person in the fish area said, A Water filter is more then enough to replace a air pump.

Also, what is the "best" water filter for a 5 gallon (Give or take)? Being careful about the bubble nest also!

And thanks for the heads up on those First Aid kit! Didn't know what to exactly get. I still don't know how to tell if they are sick. But I'll be doing my research on here :D
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #4 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinX7 View Post
Thank you for this helpful post! Will be looking to get a 5 gallon or so!

I would love to get a recommendation on a heater, since the tank temp drop to 72 today :/ Had to turn on the light for heat.

I was thinking of getting those low flow and wall air bubble tube thing, but I guess I'll cross that off, since I went to Petsmart and the person in the fish area said, A Water filter is more then enough to replace a air pump.

Also, what is the "best" water filter for a 5 gallon (Give or take)? Being careful about the bubble nest also!

And thanks for the heads up on those First Aid kit! Didn't know what to exactly get. I still don't know how to tell if they are sick. But I'll be doing my research on here :D
yeah water filter is good enough, just anything that gives a gentle current even an external one is fine

like so :

make sure its fins won't get sucked in either.

A recommended internal sponge filter i've been told is
the tetra power filter

Also a heating... don't use the light to heat up the tank, temperature fluctuations will hurt the betta more than 72 F constant.

A good heater a person has recommended me to tell you is a hydor mini heater 25 w

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #5 
whiskandbowl

I really like the Petco Bookshelf tanks. They are 6.6 gallons but are long so they have a lot of horizontal swimming room. It comes with a generic HOB (hang on back) filter but it has adjustable flow so no worries about it beating up your betta.

I really like the Elite adjustable heaters for my small tanks. I have a Viva Aqua (i think that's what it's called, I got it at petco) heater which does the job well.

I don't have any live plants yet, but I hear tons of good things about anubias and java moss and java fern. Marimo moss balls are good too. If you get silk plants, try to find Marina Naturals, they are super soft.

Hope this helps!
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote