Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #1 
Connierodz

Exclamation Broken Thermometer!! Help please!!

Do aquarium thermometers contain mercury? My son broke it..when ibwas not looking and beads where everywhere..can it be dangerous!!
Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #2 
Blacklight

If it's one of the old thermometers and there's a silver liquid inside, it's probably mercury. Most states have banned mercury thermometers. If it's a new one with the colored liquid inside, then usually alcohol from what I understand. When in doubt, call your state's poison control center. I'm sure they can instruct you.

If it's silver and beads, then it's mercury. I don't know how problematic the mercury from a thermometer is, nor do I really know how to properly clean it up.
I've called the poison control center once and they were pretty quick to get on the phone and help. If they can't help, they may be able to direct you to someone who can.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-24-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #3 
Connierodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
If it's one of the old thermometers and there's a silver liquid inside, it's probably mercury. Most states have banned mercury thermometers. If it's a new one with the colored liquid inside, then usually alcohol from what I understand. When in doubt, call your state's poison control center. I'm sure they can instruct you.

If it's silver and beads, then it's mercury. I don't know how problematic the mercury from a thermometer is, nor do I really know how to properly clean it up.
I've called the poison control center once and they were pretty quick to get on the phone and help. If they can't help, they may be able to direct you to someone who can.
Its an aquaculture thermometer..it had beads and something red..holding the beads down..nothing liquid came out..just the tiny beads.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #4 
Blacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connierodz View Post
Its an aquaculture thermometer..it had beads and something red..holding the beads down..nothing liquid came out..just the tiny beads.
I think those beads are just ball bearings put in for weight to keep the thing pointing downward and heat transfer and the red stuff I think is either plastic or wax to keep them in place when you move the thermometer or turn it upside down. The dangerous part would be the liquid if it was mercury.
The beads could potentially contain lead though.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-24-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #5 
Connierodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I think those beads are just ball bearings put in for weight to keep the thing pointing downward and heat transfer and the red stuff I think is either plastic or wax to keep them in place when you move the thermometer or turn it upside down. The dangerous part would be the liquid if it was mercury.
The beads could potentially contain lead though.
Wheww!! I kinda of panicked i dont know if thats how you spell panicked..lol i called fire dep..and they were ignorant..i called poison control they said it was fine..omg..i felt was going to collapse..i went online to see what th thermometer where made of and it said does not contain mercury..hopefully it didnt..btw...never ever ever..going to buy glass thermometer..i was using one thermometer for three tanks..i would put it away..i dont know why my son was going through my fish drawer..good thing i didnt contain mercury..wheww..
Old 10-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #6 
Connierodz

Thanks for your help..i can sleep already :)