Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #1 
Blacklight

Too much water conditioner?

Is it possible to use too much water conditioner? I was using a 3/4 gallon pitcher to refil water and I thought that it was a gallon pitcher and was putting in enough conditioner for a gallon. I just discovered my mistake. Is this a bad thing? My fishy is sick with the "floats' (swim bladder issue where he's stuck floating at the surface or having to wedge himself under stuff to stay submerged). Could this be the cause?

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-23-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #2 
polukoff

What product do you use? Some are ok others are harmful.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I doubt it, unless you dump in the whole bottle.

it won't cause "the floats" either. Swim bladder is usually caused by overeating. Try fasting a few days and/or 1 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salt. what do you feed and how often?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #4 
polukoff

Fish use the swim bladder to regulate buoyancy in the water, i.e. adjusting their relative weight to float without sinking or rising in the water. If the fish somehow gets an injury or disease to its swim bladder, regulating its buoyancy will be hard or impossible for the fish. A swim-bladder problem can therefore make the fish swim unnaturally and experience trouble keeping its buoyancy regulated. This can result in the fish laying on the bottom of the tank or floating on the surface. In less severe cases it can just seem like if the fish was drunk and having trouble keeping its balance. Swim bladder disease can be caused by a number of different causes but the most common causes are:

External factors: If the fish is subjected to external trauma it can affect their swim bladder. External trauma includes physical trauma such as being beaten by another fish, as well as rapid changes in the water parameters in their tank. A rapid temperature increase or decrease can as an example cause swim bladder disease.

Genetic factors: Some fish can be genetically predisposed to develop a deformed swim bladder when they grow older. This problem is usually a by product of line breeding by breeders trying to breed a certain trait in the fish such as long fins or certain colors. The predisposition is unwittingly being line breed along with the desired traits.

Cancer and TBC: Cancer and tuberculosis can cause swim bladder problems if they affect organs close to the swim bladder or the swim bladder itself.

Diet: Dietary problems such as poor nutrition can cause swim bladder disease as the fish don't get the nutrients they need. An improved diet can often help the fish recover, unless the problem has progressed too far. Poor diet can also lead to constipation which in turn can lead to swim bladder problem as the swelling of the abdomen prevent the swim bladder from working properly.

Diseases: Swim bladder disease can be a by-product of a number of different bacterial and parasitical infections in the fish.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 
pittipuppylove

I'm not sure about the other brands, but I believe Seachem Prime is safe for emergency use up to five times the recommended maintenance dosage (or somewhere around there - I don't have the bottle in front of me) so it's going to be a bit difficult to overdose on that.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size tank is he in? Or are you only do partial water changes? If its less than 1g that is way too small, IMO & I know others disagree, I'm going from my own experience. As for overdosing water conditioner, read the bottle it'll usually say if its possible to overdose it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 
Blacklight

It's a 5 gallon tank. I've been diligent in doing the partial water changes once every three days with a vacuum of the gravel once a week.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #8 
Lynntastic

I've always wondered this. I figured if you dump in a whole bottle you could do some damage, but bettas are fragile little things so I've never been sure about just a little more than needed. When I do water changes I measure exactly, but when I'm just topping off the tank in between changes with a glass of water I just sort of put in a few drops without bothering. Phil never seems to mind, but still...
Lynntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #9 
Wendyjo

What's your actual ammonia reading?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Read the bottle of the water conditioner you are using. I use Prime & it specifically states the recommended amount & says that in an emergency you can double dose, I think it is, I don't have the bottle in front of me. Because of this I don't worry about overdosing my tanks, I dose as close as possible to what the normal dosage is but I don't have to worry if I add a little more.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote