Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #1 
njnolan1

Ghost shrimp with Betta

Okay, so I added 3 ghost shrimp with my Betta. He's left them alone and has shown no sign of aggression towards them. He's even cuddled up with the african dwarf frogs too! He does get angry at his own reflection on the back of the tank during the day but that's a different story.

So, I've had the shrimp in there for a few days and they've been eating and enjoying themselves. The tank is a 2.5 gallon with a bare bottom. I do have around 7 black stones that the frogs hide behind and 4 plants. 2 plastic grass plants, one nylon plant and one moss ball. I found the shrimps molt just floating around but no sign of the shrimp! I hope it didn't get eaten! Is it possible that the shrimp is just hiding after molting to harden up? I guess one of the other inhabitants could have eaten it but I think it's too big for any of them. The betta and frogs can barely eat the flakes and pellets let alone a .75" shrimp! I hope it's okay.

Anyone have anything similar happen?

I've heard they can hide for days sometimes but I don't think there's enough stuff in there for it to hide it. not sure where is it would be. I have a prefilter so I don't think it could have gotten sucked up.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It could have jumped out been torn apart or hiding.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #3 
njnolan1

The Betta hasn't really bothered the shrimp at all but maybe it knew the shrimp was vulnerable after its molt? I'm pretty certain that the little pieces I was seeing in the tank were exoskeleton but I don't know enough to be positive.

Either way, I can only find two in there now. I'm hoping that it's just hiding but chances are it's gone... I want to buy another one but maybe I'll just keep the two until I see a successful molt.

I've read they can be defensive towards each other so maybe they ate him or something when he molted.

Last edited by njnolan1; 10-24-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 
candyman995

I had seven cherry shrimp in my tank and only ever saw 2 at a time..... then suddenly i noticed therre were around 15.

So could be they are hiding to toughen up or even just mating. Its hard to tell with shrimp till they show up again.

If you found the shell floating round its a good guess that it is in hiding for safety for the moment.
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #5 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman995 View Post
I had seven cherry shrimp in my tank and only ever saw 2 at a time..... then suddenly i noticed therre were around 15.

So could be they are hiding to toughen up or even just mating. Its hard to tell with shrimp till they show up again.

If you found the shell floating round its a good guess that it is in hiding for safety for the moment.
Thanks! I'm hoping that's it but there's not a bunch of great hiding places :/. I'm trying to think of something to fix that but for right now all it has are the plants and rocks in the pictures. I've looked everywhere in the tank and can't see it! The other two are everywhere. The plants will provide some coverage but the Betta does swim through them all.

I have yet to see the betta actually attack anything. When I first introduced him to the frogs he went to each one and flared his gills and when they did absolutely nothing or burst off and frightened him he got bored and left them alone. I actually saw him resting on one!

The tank's a bit tight anyway so maybe I'll just only keep two in there. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Ghost shrimp are great at hiding. I won't see mine for up to a week at a time and start to wonder if he died and then all of a sudden I'll see him skitter up to the moss ball seemingly out of nowhere.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Ghost shrimp are great at hiding. I won't see mine for up to a week at a time and start to wonder if he died and then all of a sudden I'll see him skitter up to the moss ball seemingly out of nowhere.
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for. I saw another ghost shrimp eating the leftover exo. It started swimming and the betta got all up in its grill. It went and hid. Lol.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #8 
megaredize

do you have a filter? filters can suck up shrimp. we ended up with some cherry shrimp and i didnt want to get them before we got the re filter sponge for the intake tube but my fiance bought them anyways and i watched one get sucked up. panicked and turned off the filter and saved him but found 2 others dead in the filter
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #9 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
do you have a filter? filters can suck up shrimp. we ended up with some cherry shrimp and i didnt want to get them before we got the re filter sponge for the intake tube but my fiance bought them anyways and i watched one get sucked up. panicked and turned off the filter and saved him but found 2 others dead in the filter

Thanks! But yeah, I got a prefilter sponge on there. They like to eat stuff of it. I'm hoping that it's hiding somewhere. I'm not sure where it would hide though because I've looked everywhere in there! There's not that many places for them to hide in. The other two are out and about. None of the other inhabitants are able to eat the shrimp whole so if they did attack it it would be shredded up somewhere. Even if it was dead in the water I figure it would get kicked around by the frogs. I have a hood and the area in the back has a plastic piece that I fastened to it. It's not perfect fit but I still don't think the shrimp could get out of it. I checked the hood too to see if it was stuck in the droplets of water... it's not. Maybe under the filter area though. I will give it some more time.

Two is probably better than 3, especially if they're supposed to double in size. I still hope it pops up though.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #10 
njnolan1

I have no idea how this happened but one of the shrimp got into the filter! The prefilter is on tightly so I have no idea how it did that. I looked for the other ones but there's no sign. I looked around on the floor and I just don't see any. There's two missing now. These shrimp are frustrating! Maybe I didn't supply enough hiding spots. Probably wont get more unless I completely redecorate the tank with more hiding spots.