Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #1 
zimmerb8128

discolored bubble nest

I'm not sure whats wrong or if there is anything wrong with my betta but he made a bubble nest just yesterday and its not the usual color. It has a weird brownish tinge in the middle and towards the sides and this has never happened before. I've attached a picture of him and the bubble nest. He's in a 2.5 gallon tank.. heated and cleaned recently. I usually water change once a week but i admit i've been neglecting to change it that often lately. Hes been chewing on his tail i think because its splitting but he does have a really long tail so im not sure if thats the reason. Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images

zimmerb8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Well it could be your water changes. I also have a 2.5 gallon which I found out about 2 weeks ago that I should be doing water changes more often. My little guy got a slight case of fin rot. I went from 1 water change a week to 2. You could probably do 1 50% and 1 100% per week. I do 2 100% changes and hes been doing great. If he is acting normal, i would just increase your # of water changes :)
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 
sainthogan

It could also be something that was on the surface of the water and got caught in his bubbles. For example, if you haven't been changing it often enough, it could be build up in the water that's getting into his bubbles. As far as the tail biting, more frequent water changes can help that. Bettas tailbite for many different reasons, but some do it because of stress due to poor water conditions.
Here's a helpful link from this forum on water changes: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 
zimmerb8128

I was trying not to be too worried but my imagination was getting out of hand so i wanted to post and make sure. I'll definitely stay more on top of water changes, its been bad of me to not change it as often and i know if i feel guilty about it because sometimes i even have nightmares about him dying because of my laziness O.o

thank you guys (:
zimmerb8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerb8128 View Post
I was trying not to be too worried but my imagination was getting out of hand so i wanted to post and make sure. I'll definitely stay more on top of water changes, its been bad of me to not change it as often and i know if i feel guilty about it because sometimes i even have nightmares about him dying because of my laziness O.o

thank you guys (:

It is very possible, mine got velvet from my negligence and not changing the water often enough, plus I didn't know any better and was keeping her in an unheated 1/2 gallon tank. Fortunately, I found this forum and things have gotten a lot better.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #6 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Yep, I also admit to having skipped a water change or 2 in the past; it usually comes back around with your betta shaking his head at you lol.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #7 
Silverfang

It's probably due to the maintenance. I know when I get lax the surface gets kinda... filmy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote