Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #1 
LugiaChan

Unhappy Please find what's causing the fin nipping... -_-

Tank has no lights. This fish seriously chased reflections or an invisible fish all day and night long in its 10 gallon. I moved it to a 5 gallon where this situation doesn't happen as often, but he started doing it again. This is what happens after he does that.

Previously, I owned a betta who NEVER chased any reflections at any time. Nothing new was added in my room to cause this type of situation. Temperature is ok, added plants thinking he was stressed about not having any hiding areas. I have a betta log and tons of nice plants, filter, heater, etc. But he got all stressed again....

(he is for sale/trade by the way please check the classifieds if you can re-home him.... I can't take care of him anymore, he needs an expert betta care taker to take care of him).... I want to try to help him heal up before I have to ship him in a small confined area where he will obviously fin nip again. Nothing else lives in his tank and I see him throw these tantrums.

He never did this in his new tank until I showed him a mirror for 30 to 60 seconds for some exercise. I don't know if that was the problem or not, but he did this a few hours after the mirror. He's a feisty boy. No more mirror for him :(

Last edited by LugiaChan; 10-25-2012 at 05:25 AM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #2 
Laki

A light.
Give him a light.
How big is the tank and how often do you do water changes? Is the tank heated by an actual heater? Is there much traffic in the room he is kept in? Bettas get bored when there is nothing for them to watch or do. And I would be concerned about shipping him in this condition, wait until he heals up or someone can come and get him.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #3 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
A light.
Give him a light.
How big is the tank and how often do you do water changes? Is the tank heated by an actual heater? Is there much traffic in the room he is kept in? Bettas get bored when there is nothing for them to watch or do. And I would be concerned about shipping him in this condition, wait until he heals up or someone can come and get him.
I am planning on healing his fin completely before shipment. Tank used to be a 10 gallon with a light and live plants changed weekly 40-50% with this problem even worse than it is now.

Now he's in a 3.64 gallon without a light and this problem hasn't happened as often as it used to. He is in my room with me where I work and be on my computer roughly 10 hours a day.

Heater: yes its an adjustable underwater heater set at around 79 degrees.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It might be fin rot.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #5 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
It might be fin rot.
I see him try to nip his fins and it all happens in a manner of a few minutes of time. I have to get his attention to stop so often.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #6 
Laki

Do you have bubbles or anything displacing the water?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is there tons od decorations?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Do you have bubbles or anything displacing the water?
I have an underwater filter thats very very light current and allows him to make bubble nests without them breaking. He plays in front of it sometimes its only a tiny small area where it can push him, is this recommended?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Is there tons od decorations?
Only thing I have is plants which I tested out and watch him carefully with. He never damaged himself on any of my plants or betta log he's constantly in my eye sight. I see him nip at his tail fins however.

I love your icon, do you have a larger version of it???? :)
Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #10 
Laki

The bubbles shouldn't be a problem if he still makes nests (though this is more of an instinct then "playing") and as long as you don't catch him nipping his fins round the same time as him "playing" witht he bubbles.