Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #1 
supfool94

Unhappy Has a hardtime eating...

I have a male betta that keeps spitting his food out. I feed him tetra betta mini floating pelletes. He keeps swallowing and spitting them out until it floats to the bottom. Then he completely ignores them. Is there something wrong with his throat? I fed him little pieces of dead guppies and he eats them sometimes and just ignores them sometimes. I bought him flasks too and he ate them the first time and now just ignores them...
supfool94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

You betta is training you! Haha. But don't worry, bettas won't starve after only 1, 2, even ten days without eating. A healthy betta can easily go two weeks without food. Keep offering a couple of the pellets or guppy bits (as treats) every day and he will eventually get hungry enough to eat them.

Just make sure to remove any uneaten food.

If he really protests and after a week or so hasn't eaten even a bit, see if you can get some garlic juice. Put the guppy bits in a couple drop of garlic juice before feeding. It will probably be like a little shark feeding frenzy!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 
Halfmoon

I always crush the pellets, otherwise Buds won't eat em, she'll spit them out and attack them lol..
Halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you tried not feeding him for a couple of days? Some of them can be picky eaters, I initially had to buy 2 or 3 different kinds of pellets until I found one that nobody turns down unless they are sick.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote