Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #11 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
The most intelligent fish are the Mormyridae.
Posted via Mobile Device
I *LOVE* Mormyridae! They are very smart and they look funny too. Their brain to body ratio is similar to that of humans :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #12 
mkayum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I'm subscribed.
I'd love to learn about their intelligence and how things came to be.
Me too!
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Same here.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #14 
Sivan

Well that escalated quickly.

Now that I am back online and can respond, I have a few things to say.

First:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
It is not so much depression as it is lack of stimulation.

Depression is a mental disorder in which neurotransmitters do not release properly or do not release enough into the blood stream.

If you look at what a fish's brain ACTUALLY looks like, you can get some sort of idea on how they work.

They DO NOT have any cortical folds in their cerebrum, which is a tell-tale sign of overall intelligence. Higher mammals such as humans, chimpanzees, and dolphins all have cortical folding in their cerebrums. Cats and dogs also have cortical folding. Frogs, most birds, and fish have little or no folding whatsoever.

A fish's cerebrum and cerebellum guide it during voluntary actions such as eating, swimming, eye movement, etc.

The brain stem including the medulla oblongata control functions such as breathing, body temperature, and various other bodily functions we make no conscious efforts to do

Fish also have a olfactory and ocular bulbs to smell and see (chemio-receptors)

This is the sort of info I want. I have very minor experience studying functions of a brain and unfortunately have only been able to study the functions of the human brain. My very brief, limited, understanding on how the human brain works stems from a university course I once took on the pharmacology of illicit drugs and how/why the human brain reacts the way it does. I have never been able to study animal, specifically fish, brains or how they differ. My limited knowledge is hindered by my non-scientific background and I would wish to expand more into this.

Thank you for giving me words to more specifically search for. Do you have any articles you would recommend on this blurb you described or diagrams from scientific sources? I would love to examine this further but would like a simpler source, so to speak, that I can understand with my limited background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia
Really, I don't think they are very intelligent. The most intelligent fish are the Mormyridae.
How do scientists rank fish intelligence? Why is the mormyriade more intelligent than, let's say, a tuna? I am not familiar with this species and I think using it to compare to betta splendens would be interesting.

In general: Does anyone have a scientific database that has good articles/research in ichthyology? I need a starting point and I need to become familiar with the basics so I can relate them and apply them to betta fish. I would not even mind comparisons within the betta species (i.e. betta splendens VS betta imbellis). I find this sort of thing fascinating.

Chocolate: I have to ask that unless you can support your opinions with scientific fact, that you do not post as if your opinions are fact. It adds confusion to the thread and the point here is to be able to identify information from scientific sources with support. I do not mind if you comment and discuss along with everyone else but I feel as though you are derailing the point of my thread and I ask that you refrain from doing so and keep an open mind to facts and other opinions. Thank you.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #15 
twolovers101

Well, I did a quick search in the scientific data bases I have access to, and all I could come up with were a few articles about how bettas could be conditioned and some psychology of how they establish territory (I think, I didn't read through the articles) If you like, I think I can download the articles in PDF form and e-mail them to you, or would you like the look up information?

Sorry I don't have anything closer to what you were looking for, but as you are so interested in scientific articles I thought I could at least try finding a few for you :)

Oh, and I also have one about the ecology and distribution patterns of freshwater fish in Malaysia if you would like that as well xD

Last edited by twolovers101; 10-25-2012 at 08:19 PM.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #16 
Sivan

Thanks, TwoLovers! I have those articles. They seem to be the only types of articles I can find. I know that most relevant articles will not be betta-specific, which is why an ichthyologist would be helpful here. Perhaps we can narrow search terms to anabatoids?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #17 
twolovers101

Ohh perhaps... that's a good idea *searches*
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't think it's a good comparison- these fish are known for communicating with each other with electric signals. It's crazy interesting and cool. Not really like other fish, I think they're the only ones known to communicate with electricity to such a high degree, with each other... Here's a starting article:
In African rivers, an electric Tower of Babel | Not Exactly Rocket Science | Discover Magazine
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #19 
Sivan

Thanks, Olympia!

And thanks for your help, TwinLovers!

I do not have much more time for the night but will begin a more in-depth search in the morning. I would love it if we could all share information here. I feel like we will all get some beneficial!

Also: Don't forget about the poop! I feel like this will be the harder one to find.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #20 
twolovers101

Okay, so what I've come up with (granted I'm not a very patient person when it comes to researching) are a few articles on Medaka fish neurons after spawning, the releasing of hormones that signal puberty in fish, experiments involving goldfish and salmon, one about melatonin binding sites in the brains of sea bass, and one about gene expression in the brains of zebra fish, along with a generic one about vertebrate brain evolution

:/

Lol not sure how much help I actually am Dx