Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 
njnolan1

Is this fin rot?

I think my Betta has fin rot. I guess I'll have to step up the water changes and maybe add a second moss ball...

Here's a picture. There's something that looks like it's growing it on the end of one of the "spikes" on the back fin. Two little lumps or something. You might be able to see it if you look close enough.

Cures? I don't want to use medicine unless I have to. I'll change the water a bit more and get another moss ball so we'll see if that helps clean the water.

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1351257615
Attached Images

njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #2 
Laki

Hi! moss balls don't "clean" the water. I was told that by thr pet store people too but live plants only suck up ammonia a bit, and marimo moss "feed" on the same nutrients that bad algae does. (Mine don't, I still have a lot of algae lol) So, the moss doesn't make a significant difference in the water.
That's not fin rot. Rot is indicated by black or red edges. These little spikes could be nipping, but he's missing ! lol Usually its larger chunks missing.
How often do you clean it? And how big is the tank?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

I agree with Laki, I'm not seeing fin rot.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #4 
njnolan1

Thanks!

The tank is a bit on the small side 2.5 with some dwarf frogs in there too. Unfortunately, I am unable to upgrade right now. They get along fine and I checked the water today and there's some ammonia but I've only had the tank running a week and a half. I did buy the other moss ball, can't hurt I guess.

Nipping? I've read of this but why would he want to destroy his beautiful tail?!

Guess I'll do more research on this. I've done so much research this past week and still only experience (or those with) can answer many of my questions lol. It looks like it's wearing away. The temp is up and the water quality isn't fabulous but I'm working on it. I have 3 ghost shrimp in there two to help eat the left over foods. It's a bare bottom so there's no gravel. Just some stones placed around. I can't find any foods or poop anywhere after a couple of hours either.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 
Luimeril

it looks perfectly normal to me. not even nipping. normal ray and webbing. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #6 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it looks perfectly normal to me. not even nipping. normal ray and webbing. :B

Sweet! Thanks! Maybe it starts to get like that as it ages? It looked a lot smoother a few days ago.

To be fair, I also was panicking about his bulging eyes. Gave him a salt bath and searched for answers for many hours. I eventually decided that his eyes are bulging normally after looking at many other pictures. Some betta eyes don't bulge and some do but I realized that it wasn't an illness. Just his normal look!

The only thing concerns me is the two little tiny growths on one of the spikes. It's hard to tell what they are and you can barely see them in the pics.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 
Laki

A 2.5 wit a betta AND ADF?? That;s not enough room for a betta and frogs! I mean, if you cannot upgrade now, at least get the betta in somethng else. I know 1g tank are less than 20$.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 
njnolan1

Betta and frogs are doing fine. The betta is happy with the new bridge I put in and is looking healthy. She eats like a beast! Although, I'm not over feeding her. She wont eat color enhancing pellets but goes right for the betta flakes. I just bought some frozen blood worms to supplement her diet with while having some treats for the frogs.

I also tested the water today, after a feeding too, and all the levels are good!

I'm just having trouble keeping the temperature steady in the tank. I'd like to keep it at 78-82. I don't understand how a 10w heater heats it up from 73 to 84! Supposed to be like 5W a gallon. I wanted to get a preset but they're either really, really ugly and clunky or they got some terrible reviews.

Right now I'm using the Marina 8w Betta in the 2.5 gallon.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #9 
Wendyjo

If you have any ammonia reading you should do a water change. Even a low reading is too much and can cause harm.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #10 
njnolan1

It's gotten a bit worse so I'm isolating him and doing a salt treatment. If he degresses I will move onto medicine.