Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #31 
tanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
Thanks for the info and nicely said. I'm sorry if started this thread got other members mad but as I said before we never talk a about fighting them we only talked about the difference between breeding the two kind(fighters/show Bettas)Let this thread end here to stop the miscommunication Or if anyone has anymore info about breed fighter vs show Bettas can add to this post for more knowledge cause there's more to these fish that I want to learn about
Why have to be sorry??? You only asked question that was all to it. There is not need to say sorry.

I breed fighter, but I do not fight. Now I only focus is fancy: special pattern and color. I love fancy. I have 21 adult bettas, and 19 are fancy + 2 plaket. My fries are over 100+ plaket fighter.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #32 
Sakura8

In other countries, especially Australia, short-tailed bettas are commonly referred to as fighters. That doesn't mean they are being fought. It's more a reference to the type. It's like some horses are referred to as trotters but that doesn't mean they are harness racers.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #33 
tanseattle

Sakura, I love the fat-butt cat sits on the top of the fish tank. That is so cute pic. I hope he/she did not get fat because she snacks on the fish from the tank she/he sits on
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #34 
Sakura8

Tanseattle, no, thank goodness! Actually, what's surprising is that is my skinniest cat out of 7. All of the rest are quite fat but that one only looks fat because he's so furry. He wanted to look out the window and another cat had the window perch so he just made himself at home on the tank. :D
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #35 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Tanseattle, no, thank goodness! Actually, what's surprising is that is my skinniest cat out of 7. All of the rest are quite fat but that one only looks fat because he's so furry. He wanted to look out the window and another cat had the window perch so he just made himself at home on the tank. :D
maybe we can meet up and talk about bettas and share ideas and share betta frys and such i live in pretty much the same town as you
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #36 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
In other countries, especially Australia, short-tailed bettas are commonly referred to as fighters. That doesn't mean they are being fought. It's more a reference to the type. It's like some horses are referred to as trotters but that doesn't mean they are harness racers.
THANK YOU. I was like trying to figure out what a fighter was.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #37 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Bettas are often referred to as Siamese Fighting Fish. In some areas/countries they are better known as fighters or fighting fish. I differentiate 1. FIGHTER - short finned bettas specifically bred to fight 2. traditional bettas - traditional round finned PK and VT (plus the rare round tail) 3. Modern bettas - DeT, HM, CT, HMPK, etc.

IME Fighters and traditional were once easy to breed (for some reason VT have developed into rather poor parents). And they produced lots of fry. Yes fighters are aggressive - but not all fighters are vicious towards females. I used to breed them in 1-2g containers. Like modern bettas, it really depends on how they were kept and their individual character. Until today fighters are still used as "foster" parents to mass produce modern types. They are also used to improve body and . . . strength/health/immune system (?) in general.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I want my next betta to be a fighter they just seem more natural.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #39 
Ilikebutterflies

I will be the first to apologize if my harshness was unfounded. However, if your intention is NOT fighting why post this?
Quote:
cause i dont know if its a fighter till i really fight it
and
Quote:
we (the buyers)dont know that till we really fight them.
I do know the difference between just talking about the differences in the strains. Fighters are neat looking fish but let's not play dumb here. We ALL know there is a big market for actually fighting these fish here in the US. The imported fish are sold as having already won bouts. Betta fighting is a felony here in Florida according to what I was able to find and I'd imagine it is in California (the location listed for the member that I am referring to) as well. Most every state has laws against animal fighting. In the actual statute "animal" is defined as ANY living dumb creature. Fish would fall under that definition. So, those that insist that fish fighting is legal in their state I'd love to know about it. That way I can contact the fish and game department for your state and would happily repost their response whatever it may be.

I mean heck...a person could make a fortune selling highly bred good quality fighters in a state where fighting was legal. Why isn't someone already doing it? Oh wait...I think we all know why...
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #40 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
You should sell me a pair but plz dont over price it cause i dont know if its a fighter till i really fight it anybody can claim that their breed is a fighter breed but we (the buyers)dont know that till we really fight them. But yea give me a reasonable price

Am I misunderstanding your intent by this post.......The way I am reading this.......You don't know if its a fighter until you fight it......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote