Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #1 
GFarra

How to keep Bettas warm when the power goes out??

Hi Everyone

I live in NJ and we are expecting severe weather to roll through here due to Sandy. I'l expecting to lose power for a couple of days (heaters wont work) and the temps are in the 50s right now.

How can I keep my 2 bettas warm until the power comes back??

TIA

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #2 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFarra View Post
Hi Everyone

I live in NJ and we are expecting severe weather to roll through here due to Sandy. I'l expecting to lose power for a couple of days (heaters wont work) and the temps are in the 50s right now.

How can I keep my 2 bettas warm until the power comes back??

TIA

George
What kind of tanks are they in? Do they have covers? Wrap a towel or something like that around them. Can you move the tanks to the warmest room of your house? Is your hot water heater gas or electric? You could add warm water to the tank every few hours or so. If your stove is gas you can warm water on the stove to add.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #3 
GFarra

thank you! 3 and 5 gallons, each has a cover. My hot water is gas fired as is my furnace, but the last time I lost power I had hot water but not heat. I beleive my furnace has an electric ignition while the hot water heater is more old fashioned with a pilot.

Thanks....I will wrap both tanks in towels and check them periodically. I'll remove some tank water and replace it with hot treated with prime
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 
shellieca

I hope all that happens is you lose power & nothing more serious. I see they downgraded Sandy to a tropical storm so hopefully it won't be too bad. Stay safe.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #5 
rmarkham

How should we keep the water oxygenated during a prolonged power outage? I'm also in the north east and concerned about my fish. I have a battery powered air pump for my 29G but nothing for my 2 5 gallons.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Well, larger bodies of water can maintain the temperature for longer.
Is there any way you could get them into a bigger container? even if it was like a bucket/tub or something?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkham View Post
How should we keep the water oxygenated during a prolonged power outage? I'm also in the north east and concerned about my fish. I have a battery powered air pump for my 29G but nothing for my 2 5 gallons.
From what I've read from others who've dealt with power outages, just take a large glass or something like it & agitate the water. Dip the cup in & then pour it back in, if you can do it every hour or 2.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #8 
lexylex0526

I also lost my power last year because of severe weather, what I did was every few hours I added some hot water to my bettas tanks and that keept their water warm. Plus to conserve the heat I put a towel around the tank. This worked really well for me so I definitly recomend you try it.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #9 
Thebettaqueen

This is helping me too, since Sandy and the other storm is coliding right over new york; but New york is usually warm when it's ranny wheather, but just in case. I do have a 25 gallon though, should I get a battery powered air pump for them? I know my bettas in there will be fine, but for my guppies, platties, swordtail, and corries..I don't know what to do DX
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebettaqueen View Post
This is helping me too, since Sandy and the other storm is coliding right over new york; but New york is usually warm when it's ranny wheather, but just in case. I do have a 25 gallon though, should I get a battery powered air pump for them? I know my bettas in there will be fine, but for my guppies, platties, swordtail, and corries..I don't know what to do DX
That would be the easiest- or you could pour a jug of water from above occasionally to keep it airated but that's probably not something you want to do lol
Be sure to protect your filter cartridge
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote