Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #11 
Laki

Congrats on the fish and new set up!
If you're getting in pest snails with the live plants, they're harmless and shouldn't really overpopulate the tank too much unless you're overfeeding the betta. However, if you find that they are populating out of control and your betta seems to enjoy eating them (my VT loves snails) then fine, if your betta don't eat them and you want to get assassin snails (they eat pond snails[and they hunt in groups so more than one is ideal for larger snail populations]), keep in mind once the ponds are evacuated that the assassins will still need to eat. They like bloodworms and old fish food but I had a problem keeping my assassins fed in the same tank as my piggy bettas and now they're on their own in their own tank.

If you want a vegetarian, algae eating snail that does not reproduce in fresh water and has a low bioload (for the 3g) then pick up a nerite or two. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #12 
pittipuppylove

Congrats on your new upgrade and decision toward plants! Some that I have in my tanks that have done well are Anubias, Java moss, Java fern, Wisteria, Water sprite, and Green Cabomba. And I personally like my snails, especially the Malasian Trumpet Snails I introduced to help keep the sand in my tanks aerated.

Quote:
keep the Peace lilies in the filter dont worry I keep pothos, lucky bamboo, and peace lilies and a dog.
Dogs are not large cats. What may be toxic to a dog might not be toxic to a cat, or vice versa. In this case, the Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum sp.) happens to be extrememly toxic to both. However, while a dog may not be able to reach where you keep your plant, a cat is likely much more able and likely to jump onto a table and nibble on the leaves of a toxic plant. Whether you want to keep a plant that could potentially kill your pet is up to you - personally, as a person who works in a vet clinic and has seen the effects of toxicity and poisoning first hand, I wouldn't take the chance.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #13 
LegalEagle2009

Since Bilbo was a replacement for my 13 y.o. dog who died a few days before I got Bilbo, and I would rather not lose my 13 y.o. Healthy cat anytime soon, I'm taking the peace lily back to Petco and will exchange it for live plants for Bilbo's new tank. I'm a little ticked that petco suggested the peace lily to me- as a way to keep my cat away from Bilbo. Seems like negligence to me.

My boyfriend laughs at me because he's seeing me act like a little girl with her first fishtank. I get all into this and excited.

A question: my new tank came with an LED light. Am I still going to need Florescent lighting?
LegalEagle2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #14 
pittipuppylove

Ah, Petco. 'Tis a sea of bad information there. I think the idea is that most of the people there like animals, but most of them don't exactly know how to take care of the animals properly.

lol There's no shame in being excited! Some people get excited about a new videogame or TV show, others about new fish

Do you happen to know the Kelvin rating of the LED light? Or it's wavelegnth in nanometers (nm)?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #15 
LegalEagle2009

Ok so I have just purchased: Mondo grass, java moss ball, java fern, cryptocoryne, and a peacock fern. I want to get some Anubias down the line I think.

Can you combine silk and real plants? I'd love to add some bright color to my tank. Bilbo is a scarlet and purple VT. Gravel is black. With all the green plants, not much color. Thinking of getting a silk plant just to brighten up the joint. Lol.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco most of the aquatics employees keep aquariums and know what there talking about there also older than the average Petco employee.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #17 
pittipuppylove

There should be no reason that you can't use both live and silk plants, given that the silk plants you use are aquarium grade (eg. Have no metal stems that could rust and release toxins) :)

And the age of the employee often has little correlation with how much they know about a topic. A teenager who has done his/her research, has good, reliable information backed up by facts, and is able to convey such information in a helpful and friendly manner could be far more reliable than, say, a person of middle age who is ill-informed, has not done the proper research, and/or is condesending and rude.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I was just stating the difference here most of the employees know what they are doing and are nice.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #19 
LegalEagle2009

I lucked out today in getting my local petco a biologist and fish expert. We were able to talk through several things. He doesn't know as much about plants, but our discussion has motivated him to go learn more.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco is likee that too they ask me for advice.