Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #21 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle2009 View Post
I lucked out today in getting my local petco a biologist and fish expert. We were able to talk through several things. He doesn't know as much about plants, but our discussion has motivated him to go learn more.
Cool!
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes rare but not unheard of.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #23 
finnfinnfriend

I don't know if this has been said already but for an unfiltered 3gal you only have to do two water changes a week. One 50% and one 100% :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #25 
Caryliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neight View Post
I would suggest moving that peace lily out if you have a cat! Peace Lilies are extremely poisonous to cats, and can kill them quickly if ingested!
Just FYI, Peace Lilies (Spathiphyllum) are not lilies, therefore are not toxic to cats. The worst to expect would be stomach upset.
<<is a veterinarian
Caryliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #26 
Neight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryliss View Post
Just FYI, Peace Lilies (Spathiphyllum) are not lilies, therefore are not toxic to cats. The worst to expect would be stomach upset.
<<is a veterinarian
I have seen first hand a cat dying after ingesting Peace Lily. I may not be a veterinarian, but I do know my plants, even if I am just a high school student. Not to mention that even if in some cases, Peace Lily may not kill your pet, it is not recommended to be kept near them, as every animal is different and will be affected differently, obviously. Not to mention information given out by major, and trusted, at that, organizations.
ASPCA | Peace Lily
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #27 
inuudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle2009 View Post
Ok so I have just purchased: Mondo grass, java moss ball, java fern, cryptocoryne, and a peacock fern. I want to get some Anubias down the line I think.
Mondo grass is a non-aquatic plant. I know that it's sold as an aquatic plant in some pet stores, and I , too, purchased it believing it would be fine. About a month after I planted it, someone told me that it was non-aquatic, and sure enough, the googler confirmed that information!

About two weeks after that, I had found a replacement plant and removed the mondo grass. About half of the plants had issues with the roots (separating from the stems, stunted growth, etc) and even though I replanted them in potting soil, they have not done well.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am trusting the veternarion on the peace lilies.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #29 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Do you have a heater? Heat is very important to betta fish, they need between 76F and 82F, but 78-80 is the best.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is 80F healthy?