Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #1 
freshwaterfishies

Exclamation My Betta Is Acting Funny

Recently my Betta started to act strangely, it started a few days ago when i added an air stone to his home. He started to swim frantically and was rubbing against the few stones that are at the bottom of his tank, so we moved the air stone up and to the side (from the middle.) this seamed to help at first, but now he just kinda sits at the bottom of the tank and mopes about. Once in a while he will get up and swim around normally. He still rubs against the rocks from time to time. Two days later (after adding air stone) he ate some of my ghost shrimp that i had in there with him and now his belly is sticking out.
freshwaterfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterfishies View Post
Recently my Betta started to act strangely, it started a few days ago when i added an air stone to his home. He started to swim frantically and was rubbing against the few stones that are at the bottom of his tank, so we moved the air stone up and to the side (from the middle.) this seamed to help at first, but now he just kinda sits at the bottom of the tank and mopes about. Once in a while he will get up and swim around normally. He still rubs against the rocks from time to time. Two days later (after adding air stone) he ate some of my ghost shrimp that i had in there with him and now his belly is sticking out.
just fast him a few days, and if he is scratching himself against things he might have internal or external parasites like ich or velvet.

Ich is recognizable if the fish has white little spots like if you put salt on him.

Velvet: will cause the fish to act differently than a healthy betta fish. They will be less active, have less vibrant colors, lose their appetite, and sometimes be seen rubbing up against objects in their tank. Betta fish with velvet will have what looks like a gold or rust colored dusting on their fins. This can sometimes be hard to spot and can be made easier by shining a flashlight on the betta's body. (quote from yahoo)

Both are contagious so pull them out if they are sharing tank with other fish and quarintine them. Sanatize their main tanks, with boiling water and rinsing with vinegar or watered down bleach without detergent till the smell is gone.

Treat them with anti-parasital medicine, you also may want to treat the main tank, just make sure the fish you have there won't be hurt by the treatment.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #3 
asukabetta

forgot to add that you should clean anything that touched the fish's water, nets, filters etc

And you should raise the temp water to 85 F
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #4 
ravenwinds

Just to note: if your betta is moping at the bottom, under the airstone, and started to act strange after you added the airstone, Try removing the airstone :)

Bettas are unique in a few ways: 1, with their labrynthe organ, they do not need airstones...in the wild, they are usually found in quiet spots, side bars, backwaters, of canals and streams...most don't like extra movement of a water filter, let alone an airstone. 2, bettas interact with environment outside of tank...it's why most of us feel so close to our bettas...they talk to us and we to them...like non-bettas people talk to their 4 footed furry friends....if your betta is acting odd, chances are he is attempting to get your attention.

All that being said, please take the time to monitor your betta for diseases: does he look like some crazy chef tried to salt or sugar him? If so, he probably has ick. Darken room and shine a flashlight on his body and head...does he look dusted in gold dust or rust? If so, he probably has velvet. Has he pooped recently? Is it one long snake of reddish brown? This is normal. Does it have white sections or is it one long whitish grey? If so, probably internal parasites.
There are some really good stickies at beginning of illness/disease section...help you rule out some things.

Good luck!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #5 
freshwaterfishies

bump
freshwaterfishies is offline   Reply With Quote