Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #41 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Am I misunderstanding your intent by this post.......The way I am reading this.......You don't know if its a fighter until you fight it......

the only reason i said that is because if he does sell me a pair (which he cant btw)i don't want him over pricing it like i said before anyone can claim that's his/her betta is a fighter and i know fighter betta's are expensive. I don't like fighting bettas i only keep them for the beauty nature of them i hate to see a good looking fish go ugly after a fight that is not worth it to me. Also i only want a pair of fighters for breeding knowledge. Because the aggressiveness of a fighter betta i though it might be harder to breed then a show betta that is all don't misunderstand

Last edited by Setsuna; 10-27-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #42 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say same.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #43 
DBDXDragon

I think what u guys meant was to spar. I think sparing is used to see the 'heart' of the betta
DBDXDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #44 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDXDragon View Post
I think what u guys meant was to spar. I think sparing is used to see the 'heart' of the betta
Lol Hey bro before you say anything further plz read from the start that way you won't get in trouble just a word of caution to you
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #45 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDXDragon View Post
Thats so rude Fighter Betta is one of the three types Wild, Fighter, and show the OP never mentioned sparring and you just described Betta fighting.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #46 
Aus

Guh. All this arguing and blah here these days...on every thread, it seems.

Anyways.

I LOVE 'fighter' type bettas. It's hard to know what to call them, as 'plakat' can mean either a fancy HMPK or a 'traditional' - is that a better term? The type bred for fighting, I call 'fighters' to distinguish them from the fancy type.

I have a 'fighter' type plakat, and I love him to bits. He is big and aggressive, flares at everything and 'fights' with even the tiny snails in his tank.

He is in a heavily planted 10 gallon dirt tank, and spends all day 'hunting' the cherry shrimp in the low 'bushes', it's really funny to see him swimming on the bottom all sneaky like an eel..

One day I'd love to breed this type, as they make great pets, very entertaining and full of personality. I was wondering, too, how on earth anyone managed to put such aggressive fish together and have them not kill each other, and I guess this why conditioning and exposing them to each other for short periods is so important. I would be scared to put a female in with Cole right now!

So please, those experienced with this type of betta, keep the good advice coming. One day I will be in need of it!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #47 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree I want my next Betta to be a fighter Plakat.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #48 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Bettas are often referred to as Siamese Fighting Fish. In some areas/countries they are better known as fighters or fighting fish. I differentiate 1. FIGHTER - short finned bettas specifically bred to fight 2. traditional bettas - traditional round finned PK and VT (plus the rare round tail) 3. Modern bettas - DeT, HM, CT, HMPK, etc.

IME Fighters and traditional were once easy to breed (for some reason VT have developed into rather poor parents). And they produced lots of fry. Yes fighters are aggressive - but not all fighters are vicious towards females. I used to breed them in 1-2g containers. Like modern bettas, it really depends on how they were kept and their individual character. Until today fighters are still used as "foster" parents to mass produce modern types. They are also used to improve body and . . . strength/health/immune system (?) in general.
Oh I see, that's interesting. So...they're basically non-inbreed PKs, with only the strongest surviving from the spawn? Do they pretty much look like a PK?

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen people talking about sparring their bettas on here in an attempt to get them to breed, and they didn't get near as much greif as these people are getting. Sparring and fighting are different IMO.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #49 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
Oh I see, that's interesting. So...they're basically non-inbreed PKs, with only the strongest surviving from the spawn? Do they pretty much look like a PK?

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen people talking about sparring their bettas on here in an attempt to get them to breed, and they didn't get near as much greif as these people are getting. Sparring and fighting are different IMO.
They are the wild version of splendens. The "FIGHTERS" have slightly bigger mouths and sharper teeth. Their bodies are thicker but flexible, giving them a "short" look when viewed from above. The modern PK originated from crosses between fighters and HM. The traditional colorful PK are crosses between fighters and VT.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #50 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They have tougher scales and fins too.