Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #1 
RabidAliver

Bloating??

Asura's healed up nicely from the body slime infection he had last week, but now he'd been getting bloated despite the fact that everything is normal as it was before he got sick. I cleaned out his tank and everything, what could cause it? I don't want to assume anything, but it worries me since he's bloating so soon after a previous problem

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, still waiting on a heater. Until then keeping my room at a high temperature.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two pellets twice daily, though I'm fasting him to see if the bloat will go down.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 25%, and then a 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle tap conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Don't have a test kit yet either.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slight bloating, not enough to effect his swim bladder yet though.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't as far as I've seen.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't treated him yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he's a tailbiter and has just gotten over a body slime infection.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Anywhere from 7 months to a year. (Not quite sure how to tell the age)
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to confuse Bloat with a normal full tummy and treat needlessly. Usually with bloat you will have other signs/symptoms along with the enlarged abdomen. Like, buoyancy issues, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding, appetite changes and not pooping (remembering that sometimes they will eat and/or destroy their poop)

Can you post a pic and what kind of treatment if any, did you do for the other issue.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You don't want to confuse Bloat with a normal full tummy and treat needlessly. Usually with bloat you will have other signs/symptoms along with the enlarged abdomen. Like, buoyancy issues, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding, appetite changes and not pooping (remembering that sometimes they will eat and/or destroy their poop)

Can you post a pic and what kind of treatment if any, did you do for the other issue.
The other issue I did an AQ salt treatment for 10 days until it cleared up. I haven't noticed other symptoms as of yet, I don't know if he's pooped or not since I can't really see it in his color of gravel unless I look extremely close. Should I maybe fast him for a day or two to see if his stomach shrinks a bit?

Also, I can't get a picture, my phone doesn't get close enough or capture fast enough and my camera is dead, we have no batteries for it at the moment.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I won't hurt to fast for 24h, however, I don't recommend fasting for longer than that. Also, if you haven't made a water change in the past day or so-I would go ahead and make a 50% water only.

Is he in freshwater now...or no salt in the water...I assume you treated in a QT and not in his tank-correct...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #5 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I won't hurt to fast for 24h, however, I don't recommend fasting for longer than that. Also, if you haven't made a water change in the past day or so-I would go ahead and make a 50% water only.

Is he in freshwater now...or no salt in the water...I assume you treated in a QT and not in his tank-correct...
Yeah, he's in freshwater now. I used a 1 gallon QT to make sure nothing was going horribly. I'll do the water change and fast him to see if he gets better, thank you for your help :D