Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #14991 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know that if I decided to breed there are certain people that I would ask for help and I know they'd give me expert advice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #14992 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I know that if I decided to breed there are certain people that I would ask for help and I know they'd give me expert advice.
Exactly :) Don't even give them the time of day. They must think they're the best experts at it, sure they are. :/

moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #14993 
Sena Hansler

Those who brag about being knowitalls, just know nothing. But the REAL knowledge is COMMON SENSE, PATIENCE, and anything along those lines. Not just an occupation, talent or skill.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #14994 
dramaqueen
Banned

People who brag about all they know usually don't know anything.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #14995 
Shirleythebetta

Something that bothers me is when people at my college act like they know better than the Professor. College is just an opportunity to earn a piece of paper. I know people who are smarter than me who don't have high school diploma's.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #14996 
thekinetic

I'm reminded of a quote from the Count of Monte Cristo: "Not their application, certainly, but their principles you may; to learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other."

It's one of my favorite quotes. I take from it that anyone can remember things they read but only those who've actually practiced can truely say they are knowledgable. That brains do not come from books but from experiance. In the end that little piece of paper is only legal red tape, you've only earned it with time not skill.

It's why I know I will never be as smart or as wise as someone older than myself, when they talk I listen.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #14997 
Shirleythebetta

Kinetic: I don't know if I truly believe older equals wisdom. I have met some pretty ignorant people that were older than me. My racist grandparents for instance... as much as I loved them, they came up with some pretty stupid ideas about Black people. And my Brother-in-Law.... told his eight year old son yesterday that he can date girls starting now as long as they weren't black... He knows I have black in me and many black relatives. That is one case were older equals ignorant. I am probably on my last straw with being respectful though. I usually ask him to please respect me and stop the racist comments in front of me and he giggles and walks away.
Back to the point, I love that quote and I like what you got from it. I am going to college learn a little more and to prove I have what it takes to succeed in business. So I want to learn but I don't have much experience. I am not going there to show off what I think I know. I never claim to be smart and I don't actually believe in intelligence in the same sense that everyone else does. I believe each individual has their own intelligence. In Psychology there is even such a thing as Physical intelligence for those who are better at sports than book learning. Theres a mechanical intelligence for people who can fix machines but are not book smart or Sport smart. It isn't right to flaunt what you know or you think you know. It is not okay to try and make people feel stupid. My strengths are learning hands on and in books. Memorizing isn't always the same as learning. It makes me think of children learning thier ABC's. They memorize the song first and they learn the actual letters through experience in school.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #14998 
thekinetic

Well at some point we all have to use common sense to know when someone is full of it. XD

As for learning I often have to read through things multiple times and then go hands on to really understand and comprehend it. It's the way I cook, I find a recipe and try it and then adjust it the next time to make it better.

Now intelligence is illdefined and I don't think people are smart enough to define it yet. But regarding the physical, artistic, mechanical, ect intelligence it all has to do with what part of the brain is most active in the individual, at least that's what I understand in the little bits of psychology I've read. I gave up on psychology though because all I attained from it was a tremendous headache. XD
Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #14999 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Well at some point we all have to use common sense to know when someone is full of it. XD

As for learning I often have to read through things multiple times and then go hands on to really understand and comprehend it. It's the way I cook, I find a recipe and try it and then adjust it the next time to make it better.

Now intelligence is illdefined and I don't think people are smart enough to define it yet. But regarding the physical, artistic, mechanical, ect intelligence it all has to do with what part of the brain is most active in the individual, at least that's what I understand in the little bits of psychology I've read. I gave up on psychology though because all I attained from it was a tremendous headache. XD
Oh Gosh can Psychology be a headache! I think that it's hard to learn from books anyways because it's so darn boring. The same with listening to someone in a lecture. *Snooze* I agree with you. Intelligence is hard to define and people are still to egotistical to truly understand it. I can't stand words like "Intelligence" and "stupid/ignorant" anymore since I started college. It's all about who can out think the other students. If you can confuse the Professor with fancy talk you can get an A. College has ruined me... or maybe improved me? Who the heck knows! I enjoy it for the learning aspect, I have learned a lot in my classes. Some things I feel are strange and others it's more about well, common sense. I actually had to take a class on reproduction.... yes... I had to learn how babies were made... at 25 years old in college. Talk about remedial... awkward
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #15000 
thekinetic

Having to take reproduction in college? Wow just wow! O.o

It seems college is just like high school, just teaching unnecessary things. I mean could you imagine how easy high school would have been if we just took core classes like math and science and english with no useless classes like PE or electives?

Of course college is all about that little piece of paper just like high school. Except now you get to focus on what you want, while wading through the BS.

Me I'm taking a different route by getting my IT certifications and then getting into the industry, that way if they want me to go to college they'll send me and pay for it (yes they do that :D) just for those classes and none of the crud on the side.

All I can say is good luck to you in college, don't lose who you are in trying to accomplish! :)