Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO it's important that both show breeding mode signs before you float a female in a male's tank. In breeding mode, the male (actually both) will swim all over the tank. SO if an aggressive female is placed with him, she will think he is running away and she will chase and attack him. Often the male will fight back and put the female in her place but the male will have torn fins by then.

If both are in breeding mode, they will play follow the leader. Either may lead the courtship process. Usually only the male would bite. But sometimes if the male isn't ready while she is, she may attack the male. Or if the male doesn't show aggressiveness (not vicious) she may also attack.

Your picture is definitely a female. She has small dorsal, ventral and anal. If you want to breed her, isolate her. After a day or two, show her a male. If she is circling around the tank, you can breed her. But if she seems to be trying to break through the glass, she's not ready.

Btw, I don't rely on bubble nest nor breeding stripes to determine my breeders. I rely on their general behavior.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #22 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
IMO it's important that both show breeding mode signs before you float a female in a male's tank. In breeding mode, the male (actually both) will swim all over the tank. SO if an aggressive female is placed with him, she will think he is running away and she will chase and attack him. Often the male will fight back and put the female in her place but the male will have torn fins by then.

If both are in breeding mode, they will play follow the leader. Either may lead the courtship process. Usually only the male would bite. But sometimes if the male isn't ready while she is, she may attack the male. Or if the male doesn't show aggressiveness (not vicious) she may also attack.

Your picture is definitely a female. She has small dorsal, ventral and anal. If you want to breed her, isolate her. After a day or two, show her a male. If she is circling around the tank, you can breed her. But if she seems to be trying to break through the glass, she's not ready.

Btw, I don't rely on bubble nest nor breeding stripes to determine my breeders. I rely on their general behavior.
Thanks for all your advice! I wish I could do the same ie. rely on their behaviour rather than other signs, but I have never bred bettas before. And my males especially seem to be rather stubborn about it all!

Please, feel free to PM me if you have any other advice. I need all the help I can get. ;) (And yes, I have read all the stickies, but sometimes it's nice to talk to someone about it all.)
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #23 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Watch betta fighting (the moment they are introduce, not after the biting starts) and betta breeding in youtube. Or watch the bettas for sale - some will flare in one place while others will swim all over the tank. That should give you an idea of how they behave. Later when you do spawn, watch their behavior. Compare them to the ones not in breeding mode.

I need you to ask me questions - easier to think of. LOL
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote