Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #1 
Hawk

Swim bladder problems

Hi guys! First post here, but I've been lurking for a while.

My husband has a mail veiltail, Barty, that we've had almost 2 years. On Thursday night he bloated up suddenly and was stuck on his side at the surface. We immediately did an epsom salt bath and the next day he was able to swim and wasn't stuck at the surface, but he was having trouble staying upright. The bloating went away and hasn't been back. However, he is still having trouble swimming and staying upright, and he had a minor relapse last night where he was stuck at the top of his tank.

Currently, we have him floating in his regular tank in a small container that we're doing daily water changes in, just so he's not stressed out trying to swim around in his 2 gallon. He has pooped a couple of times. I guess my question is what else can I be doing to get him back to normal? Or could his swim bladder be permanently damaged? I hate seeing him struggle to get around.

We did fast him for a day until we saw poop, and have been feeding him small amounts yesterday/today since the bloating had gone down and I was worried he was using a lot of energy trying to swim.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77-78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets, occasionally freeze dried bloodworms and daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He had been bloated, but that has gone away. Color hasn't changed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really - he still tries to swim around and beg for food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3-4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom salt baths once a day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was minorly constipated a month or two ago but a couple days of fasting resolved it. Other than that, nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2-2.5 years
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i have heard live foods can help them pass the impaction.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote